2023 - 2024 APPLICATION CYCLE

5 hours ago, smoothspinach04 said:

For people that also interviewed 10/3, do we know if they’re still calling people today or if it was just yesterday? It seemed unclear at our interview

I interviewed 10/3 and received an acceptance call yesterday but I'm not sure if they'll be calling today as well

This may be an odd question but here I am killing time until I hear something.... Did those of you who were given interviews and/or accepted have high CASPER scores? I think my score is the weakest part of my app and I am just trying to get a sense of how much they matter. I am a first time applicant so everything is new and anxiety provoking. Thank you! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FuturePAWolff said:

This may be an odd question but here I am killing time until I hear something.... Did those of you who were given interviews and/or accepted have high CASPER scores? I think my score is the weakest part of my app and I am just trying to get a sense of how much they matter. I am a first time applicant so everything is new and anxiety provoking. Thank you! 

This is a long one but I'm hoping someone out there appreciates the insight. I interviewed in Sept and I did have a high CASPer score, so take this with a grain of salt, but generally my understanding is most programs don't weigh on them too heavily. I've seen plenty of applicants on various pre-PA groups receive acceptances with low CASPer scores, though not at CU specifically. At my interview, I noticed that the one thing we all had in common was our very strong and unique stories, backgrounds, and/or motivations for the profession. Everyone I met impressed me SO much and I walked away feeling genuinely honored just to have been considered alongside them. I also think that there's a randomness to this process and so many factors we don't have control over. I did not receive an acceptance call and sometimes I catch myself wondering if I would have, had I interviewed a different date--but it's also possible that I may not have received an interview at all. The program director echoed this at the beginning of the day, saying they had over 2000 applicants this year for 144 interviews and 40 something seats. Is it possible that they weed out based on CASPer? Sure, but I personally think that my PS/supplemental is what helped me overcome the weaknesses on my app and that's what is infinitely more important for interview consideration than CASPer.

TLDR Always good to look back and critically evaluate your app, but try not to beat yourself up over it!! It's an accomplishment to even finish CASPA and apparently this has been an extremely competitive cycle year for all programs. It's not over until it's over. Good luck! 🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mmhpa said:

This is a long one but I'm hoping someone out there appreciates the insight. I interviewed in Sept and I did have a high CASPer score, so take this with a grain of salt, but generally my understanding is most programs don't weigh on them too heavily. I've seen plenty of applicants on various pre-PA groups receive acceptances with low CASPer scores, though not at CU specifically. At my interview, I noticed that the one thing we all had in common was our very strong and unique stories, backgrounds, and/or motivations for the profession. Everyone I met impressed me SO much and I walked away feeling genuinely honored just to have been considered alongside them. I also think that there's a randomness to this process and so many factors we don't have control over. I did not receive an acceptance call and sometimes I catch myself wondering if I would have, had I interviewed a different date--but it's also possible that I may not have received an interview at all. The program director echoed this at the beginning of the day, saying they had over 2000 applicants this year for 144 interviews and 40 something seats. Is it possible that they weed out based on CASPer? Sure, but I personally think that my PS/supplemental is what helped me overcome the weaknesses on my app and that's what is infinitely more important for interview consideration than CASPer.

TLDR Always good to look back and critically evaluate your app, but try not to beat yourself up over it!! It's an accomplishment to even finish CASPA and apparently this has been an extremely competitive cycle year for all programs. It's not over until it's over. Good luck! 🙂 

Thank you for the insight, I know a lot of people will find this very valuable, including myself. I find it interesting too. This was the only program I applied to that even required the caspa, I know a lot of schools don't like the metrics they provide overall as a factor for deciding who to interview and accept. But nonetheless every school has its own ways. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mmhpa said:

I interviewed in September as well and have to say I completely agree with you! Everyone was absolutely amazing and were wonderful people with amazing stories and I was so impressed by everyone! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't hear back, but you sound very well spoken and insightful and I wish you the best!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...