bad interview

I just had an interview today to my top choice program that went...um...not as well as I had hoped. I feel like they didn't get a good feel for me or my personality and drive, and I was just so nervous. I almost want to call or write to tell them why they should still consider me for the program, but I know that would seem desperate and strange, so I'm just going to send a thank-you note to the director and hope for the best.

anybody have tips on coming back from a bad interview? I've read the books and practiced--I just never had that "nervous" feeling until I was in the actual interview seat. Oy.

edit: meant to post in pre-pa discussion. sorry guys!

I had the same thing happen to me at my interview at Drexel a few weeks ago! I absolutely broke down crying after! It was my top choice, I absolutely love the program. All I wanted to do is write a letter explaining what I should have said rather than what I actually said and appoligizing for my nervousness. But like you, I felt like that would come off badly, and personally I felt like that would look like I lacked self confidence. So, I wrote each of my interviewers, the chair and the director a personalized thank you letter. I doubt I'll get in, which just really breaks me cause I could have easily gotten in if I had myself together. I keep praying I'll get more interviews (I haven't yet :-/) I applied to 9 schools. So I'll say, you will probably just have to let it go, I know it sucks, I'm still kicking myself over it. But, I figure if I don't get in this year, I know what I'll need to do next year and hopefully I can do it right. But hopefully, I find another school school I love this year. Best of luck to you!

I had mine 2 days ago. I prepared so well for it and practiced every question they could possibly ask. As soon as I walked into that room my nerves were lit on fire! I forgot half of what I wanted to say. I know for sure I could've answered much better than I actually did. After walking out I was so glad it's over and just wanted to forget about it. It was a terrible feeling! I've handled lots of stressful situations at work and in school with calm nerves, yet couldn't handle a 20 minutes interview :(

I know, isn't it crazy? I've done so many more stressful things, but this little interview made me a shaky ball of stammering nervousness. Needless to say, I didn't get the phone call--but I'm hoping there's maybe a wait list letter coming my way that I can work with. Even with lots of practicing, I just wasn't able to adequately express myself. Funny thing is, I interviewed a few days later at a school that is "ranked" higher, but I was so much less stressed since it wasn't my "top" choice (I mean, of course I was still nervous, but not nearly as bad as the first time) and I got accepted within 8 days. And the more I think about it, the more I think it's probably a better program for me anyway.

blblue and balsam88--Thanks for sharing--glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat. I hope you guys hear good news soon. Even if we don't get our top choice, we'll still be PAs. Good luck!

Maybe think about this way before interviews: stress of interview does not even come close to stress in PA school. That is, PA school is A LOT more stressful. Just remember that. Maybe it will calm your nerves ;).

I just had my interview at my top choice and couldn't sleep for a week before. I got to the interview and did good on the firsts one but the second one I felt like I fell apart. I kept rambling and thought for sure that I had no chance to get in. Two days later I got an accpetance offer. It just goes to show that you always feel you do worse than you actually do, this is what every PA student and Med student I talked to said as well.

Haha yea! Thanks for catching that! Just a small detail to remember :xD: How did you like the program? Tracie, I was not prepared at all. I didn't practice at all. I had previously tried to become a dietician and had done interviewing for that so I thought I didn't need to practice. But that's not true. You do! So this time I am buying a book someone recommended called Getting into the Physician Assistant School of your Choice and I am doing a mock interview with a friend who has a strong medical background and a lot of experience with interviewing. Also, I found these coaching videos on youtube I found helpful that are worth checking out. They are about 2 minutes each and each one is on a different topic related to the physician assistant school interviewing process:

Have you received any interviews? Hope that helps!

Archived