new grad derm vs ent offers

I was about to accept my dermatology offer (I've been looking and waiting for 5 months for derm) when the ENT doc gave me a great offer. They're very similar. I am in Florida. Both say they have good retention of providers. I will end up being the sole provider in either one. Both companies own multiple locations. 

I'm torn because derm was my goal but they have a crazy noncompete and its a 40min-1hr commute. ENT is only 15-20 min away. Perks of derm are half day Fridays, bonus structure, specialty.

I've been looking for a job with great work life balance, good benefits, and a supportive environment. They both seem to check these boxes. 

DERM: 90K + 10% bonus after 3x salary and expenses (their app providers are netting 400-530k), 3 weeks pto, 6 holidays, $1500 cme, 401k match after 1 year, malpractice, health and dental, one year renewal, can terminate anytime

- 4 days in location 40-45 min away with traffic, 1 day in location 1 hr away (verbal agreement only, not in contract)

- Half day Fridays, 8:30-5 M-Th; My boyfriend has fridays off so this works really well for our schedules. We have a small business and like to travel so this half day means a lot. It is in the contract. 

-mostly medical, potential for cosmetics; PAs have full use of their license and treat any patient.

- NONCOMPETE: 3 years and 50 miles from ANY of their locations.... I would not be able to work in my city or any city in driving distance from me. I already tried to negotiate the wording from miles to names of the cities that the clinics are in and was told this is nonnegotiable. They say this is standard for all providers and they have not had any issues yet. I would have to move to a different part of the state or another state to work in derm or related. I really like where I am but I am not tied to my city (no fam or kids) so I could move if I had to/ wanted to. I am planning on staying with this company and I hope everything works out, but you never know! 

-I could move a little closer to the office but this housing market doesn't make it easy!

ENT: 95K with annual bonus (unknown amount), 3 weeks pto, 6 holidays, cme requests as needed no fixed amount, 401K after 1 year, malpractice, health and dental.

-clinic only, no surgery (thats what I prefer), one location only 

-1/3 phone call, be available to answer phone calls and direct pt to ER if needed, call doc to see patients; only phone, not in person

-8:30-5 M-F

Do I have faith that derm will treat me well and I'll be happy there forever? Or do I chose ENT which is a really great offer but is not the specialty I've been trying to get?

That derm bonus rubs me the wrong way. Doubt you'll want to stay there. Only 10% bonus after they have already retrieved 3x your salary PLUS expenses. It's a slap in the face. It's only there to get you to work harder and make more money off you. Best case scenario you're making an extra 20K a year. Then there is the ridiculous non-compete you have to worry about and the much longer commute.

I'd go with the ENT offer.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:44 AM, AbeTheBabe said:

That derm bonus rubs me the wrong way. Doubt you'll want to stay there. Only 10% bonus after they have already retrieved 3x your salary PLUS expenses. It's a slap in the face. It's only there to get you to work harder and make more money off you. Best case scenario you're making an extra 20K a year. Then there is the ridiculous non-compete you have to worry about and the much longer commute.

I'd go with the ENT offer.

What would be a good bonus structure?