Teaching online classes?

Hello,

I am at the end of my first year of PA school. I plan on going into neurosurgery when I am finished with school (have been putting in extra hours with a neurosurgery clinic). I estimate having about 120k to pay back after I graduate. Has anybody ever considered teaching online classes through Phoenix, or wherever else, in order to supplement paying off loans? This could just be like a bonus payment at the end of the year to add to the loan repayment.

Thanks,

Zach

The problem is that you'll be working at a for-profit. Most of these are scams and your so-called students will be the absolute bottom of the barrel. Further, you will have NO input as to course content and testing; you will simply be an administrator that grades, fields student complaints and excuses, and so on. Most will want you to have a Master's or at least 18 grad credits in the area you teach. They will pay you per class and it will work out to $12-25 per hour. The higher your educational level, the higher the pay.

I've taught, much to my chagrin, at for-profits for over 7 years both in the classroom, and online. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

The problem is that you'll be working at a for-profit. Most of these are scams and your so-called students will be the absolute bottom of the barrel. Further, you will have NO input as to course content and testing; you will simply be an administrator that grades, fields student complaints and excuses, and so on.

So, are you saying that you don't get the opportunity to teach? Are you at least allowed to post recordings of going over powerpoints? Does anybody know generally which classes a PA would be allowed to teach?

Thanks

What type of degree are you wanting to teach? I would say if it was a general masters in healthcare (administration, management, etc.) I would think anyone that has a background in that with the proper degree/experience could teach that class. If you are looking into a masters completion for PAs I would hope you would have to be a PA, but do not know. I never have taken an online class so would not know what the teachers were like, but I am just brain-storming here to try and help you out. I am also interested in this because it would be a great way to be able to travel around and still be able to teach/work (i.e. make $) to pay of my loans.

I guess that I just wanted to get an idea of what was possible to teach. I'm sure that a PA would be able to teach like medical terminology and healthcare admin. Maybe even like a Health Promotion/disease prevention class. It would be great to teach more of the undergrad Bio type classes, but I don't have a Biology degree. I do have a BAS in Psych, but I guess that doesn't do much as far as teaching. So, basically I would just be teaching using my MPAS. Our degree is an academic degree and not one of the Professional programs.

So, are you saying that you don't get the opportunity to teach? Are you at least allowed to post recordings of going over powerpoints? Does anybody know generally which classes a PA would be allowed to teach?

Thanks

No, you won't get the opportunity to actually teach anything. The courses are all set up by the school, complete with quizzes/tests they design, interactive student assignments they design, and reading assignments that go along with a book they chose. Your role will simply be to grade according to the criteria they establish (which at least gets you off the hook in terms of student complaints, as you aren't the one making decisions), and field all kinds of excuses as to why assignments aren't in on time, why they didn't get full credit, and on and on and on.

Classroom instruction may be different as there is usually a (totally unrealistic) Master Syllabus of topics, and you're free to construct the lesson plans, tests, point structure and so on as you see fit. However, most of these courses are offered as one or two day per week for several hours each, so not practical if you're in a full-time PA program.

Mostly you'll be eligible to teach anatomy, physiology, pharm, micro, biology, and assorted biomed science classes. This depends upon whom the school's accreditation is through, and whether you'll actually need a full, conferred Master's or just 18 grad credits in whatever you teach.

I teach for the University of Phoenix and Walden University. I also taught for St. Francis's masters program...none of them are scams.....they are great places to improve your online teaching skills. PLUS.....this is going to be the education of the future and is designed for adult students. All have something for you to get involved with. Just apply.

Most do have courses that are already prepared and you are a facilitator...but think about it....these are LARGE university systems and their courses have to be uniform, that is why you don't get to create the program or course...besides, believe me, I have created curriculum, and it ain't fun. it is a pain in the backside. Every student taking the class you are interested in ( and there are hundreds under many instructors) have to be offered the exact same material taught the same way. So...the course is designed for that.

PM.... ME if you like

Bob

• 8 months later...

The issue is that you'll be operating at a for-profit. Most of these are frauds and your so-called learners will be the overall base of the gun barrel. And also per hor rates increase whihc means expensive education and by this people not get job according to they paid for education.

Are you looking to do this right now or when you've finished PA school? If the latter, you'll make a lot more money just picking up extra shifts or a couple per diem gigs as a PA.

This would make the most sense, unless you are already a teacher & wish to maintain.

The issue is that you'll be operating at a for-profit. Most of these are frauds and your so-called learners will be the overall base of the gun barrel. And also per hor rates increase whihc means expensive education and by this people not get job according to they paid for education.

???

I'm sorry to bring this up, but after viewing other posts from you I am seeing a pattern. It would seem that you are either using some sort of smart phone technology that is scrambling phrases the wrong way, or you may have lived outside the USA originally, & some of the slang terms we use are not as familiar. My initial impression was that you are not a PA Educator (as registered), or that English is not your first language. I read your other posts & have seen where others have been confused by your postings as well.

And, in regards to the content of your post, while there are many for profit schools out there that are scams, online learning is happening everywhere, & many mainstream colleges & universities have lots of online class offerings. A lot of the most respected universities (non-profit state schools) have degrees that can be completely earned online without ever having set foot on campus, & are completely indistinguishable from the degrees earned by those who chose to sit in a chair in an actual classroom. Plus, there is plenty of evidence that high percentages of graduates from non-profit schools cannot get employment in their field of study as well, so I don't see that as an issue that seems more common in for-profit schools. Don't let the classifications fool you. All schools are in it for the money in one way or another.

Archived