Non-traditional HCE advice?

Hi everyone,

I am just starting down my PA path and would like some advice. A little background: I was a young mother and had a few false starts at community college. I probably finished two whole semesters total during that time and had all A's and B's (this was 11 years ago). in 2006 I went to mortuary school and after I finished that, I worked at a funeral home as an embalmer for a year. Through that job I was able to start working as an autopsy technician at the medical examiner's office, where I worked for 3 years. I then went to work as a transplant technician, and I still keep that job part time. I have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go back to school at the local community college. I'm going to finish my associates this semester, and then I'll transfer to a 4 year to get my bachelor's in biology. I'm maintaining a 4.0 currently and I hope to keep it, and I also work on call both as a transplant tech and as an autopsy tech for a private pathologist. I absolutely love health care and I really think the PA role would suit me well.

I'd like some advice on what would be the best course of action for the next two years while I am finishing my bachelors. My plan right now is to continue doing well in school and stay with my part time jobs. I also have started the process of volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding program once a week (something I used to do when I was a kid). I was considering trying to get certified as EMT-B to get more hands on (living!) patient experience, but I am having a hard time figuring out how I will fit both the time and the cost in. Would my degree in biology and my iffy HCE be competitive enough? I may just apply with what I have when I finish my degree and do the EMT-B certification if I don't get accepted anywhere, but if I don't have a chance I would like to try to fit the EMT-B in now.

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum, it has been really informative!

Archived