Advice needed following my PA dream... Feeling lost and discouraged.

Hey all, I've posted a few times on here concerning my desire to become a PA. I am EMT certified, but with no college degree. I am 26. Within the past few years I have held two jobs, one part time as an EMT, and the other full time doing maintenance work. During this time I have deeply considered what to do with my life, and really thought about PA (which is why I posted on here before). I gain such a deep satisfaction helping those in need, and also enjoy science and medicine. With the encouragement of an MD I met through work (who has helped me with my decision and has been encouraging me that the PA route would be a great fit for me), and with deep thinking and prayers, this is where my heart is, becoming a PA! So, currently here is situation... The best I found as far as EMT is concerned was part time work which I took. My maintenance job was quite honestly low paying, and I couldn't get any benefits with either job... Well, living is tough, and these jobs weren't cutting it. I honestly could barely get by. So I did what I had to do and searched and applied to places I knew had a good reputation for pay and benefits. Well, thank god I got a good full time job now, pays good, and I'll finally be able to get out on my own and start a life with my girlfriend (who I plan on marrying and having a family with. All well and good right? Well, not really since I need to get a bachelors and then attend PA school. I planned on going to school on the side for bachelors while working, but, there is so much work here I barely have a life outside of work now. Aside from the normal 40hr workweek, I can be forced to work weekends, particularly since I'm new, and on top of that, twice a yr we can be bumped to another shift. That means if I take morning classes cause im 2nd shift, in a few months I can be bumped to first shift... Then what?!? When I get past my bachelors, and get in PA school, we will cross that bridge when we come to it because I realize I can't work while in PA school. I am sorry for so much info, I'm just trying to get ideas and encouragement, I don't know how to sort this out... I have a great job now, but it's NOT what I want! I want to be a PA!!! I don't know how to work schooling with this job. I can't just quit here, good jobs are a blessing these days, and making a living for myself and my partner is first. I feel very discouraged and afraid of living my whole life feeling like I wasted dreams away... One other option is online classes, and my girlfriend has been bringing that up... She's in nursing school by the way.. Well, if anyone is or has been in a similar situation on their journey to becoming a PA, please respond... Any encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone for taking your time to read this way too long of a post! Have a good day.

Animus, all I can offer is some support. I'm sort of in the same boat. I finished my associate's degree 18 years ago and had to put my medical career aspirations on hold. I finally have the chance to go back and do what I've always wanted to do. I'm 42 years old. I feel like I'm facing a lot of hurdles, but at the same time, I know I WANT to do this with every fiber of my being. Yes, money is going to be tight during PA school. Yes, I'm spending a lot of my savings to do this. I feel, in the end, it will be worth it.

Don't let people discourage you. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Just make sure you give it your all and get the best grades you can in your pre-reqs & bachelor's degree courses. I'm still deciding between getting my BSN (RN) or simply completing a BS in Human Biology before applying to PA school. I will have my phlebotomy certification as of February and the schools I'm applying to will count this as patient care experience. However, I feel getting my RN will give me a more hands-on and thorough PCE than simply drawing blood. Right now, I think it might boil down to acceptance in the RN program. I figure if I don't get in when I apply in January, I'll just take that as a sign to complete the bachelor's.

You need to pursue a career that's going to make you happy and feel fulfilled. If this is what you truly want to do....go for it!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you :D

The IPAP program is arguably just as competitive as the civilian PA schools, if not more. Additionally, those individuals who join the military with only the sole purpose of taking advantage of some of the educational opportunities offered quickly lose their motivation to perform as a top notch service member and struggle adapting to the rigorous military lifestyle. It is certainly one route to become a PA, but I would advise you do some serious soul searching before you view it as a last ditch effort to obtain that coveted PA-C. I have never regretted my time in the service, but it was certainly the biggest sacrifice I've had to make in my life, as well as the hardest thing I've done to date.

What state do you live in? There are programs out there that offer AA degrees like in California there is Foothill College, Riverside Community College and San Juaqien Valley College (spell check). Maybe check one of those out. You also stated you had your EMT.. Ever thought about becoming a EMT-P first?

Talk to the folks working different shifts at your job. Offer to trade certain days/times/shifts with them. I worked a rotating schedule where I worked for four days, then off for four days. That meant one week I was M-Th, the next week was T-F, next week was W-Sat..so on and so forth, forever and ever. We were not allowed to take vacation time for only half a shift or for a few hours at a time. It was an "all or nothing" deal. So if all I needed was 2 or 3 hours of coverage, I had to burn 12 hours of vacation (was 12 hour shifts). So, I found people willing to cover my days. They got the pay I was supposed to get so that stung a bit, but so be it..a small sacrifice. To make up the funds I would seek overtime on days or night shifts when I had the time...it meant working/schooling 7 days a week for months on end, eating beans and rice.

I understand you love your girlfriend and all of that. However, I emplor you to truly resist the urge to get married until AFTER PA school.. The first 2 years of marriage lay the ground work for a long, healthy, happy life together and if those two first years together are filled with the stressors of PA school then that sets you up for greater difficulties down the road. I know, you're young, anxious, think you can do it all...I was that way..once. Then I, and most of my peers, learned their lesson. I can only hope you can learn from our mistakes.

Thanks for answering everyone!! Well, the military is out of the question due to where I am in life, but I strongly considered it in high school. However, I would NOT join for the sole purpose of schooling..But thanks for the idea. As far as live off loans... Hmm thought bout it... But just seems so risky and maybe not the best path to go down??? As far as the getting married thing, gotta be honest we are planning to within the next couple years, no way we would wait at the very least six or seven more years till I'm all said and done... I truly appreciate all these responses they are helping me think this through with people that have been there and have good minds.... Thank you all... One other thing I was thinking, any good HC jobs out there that maybe take 4-6 months to get (school wise), are decent paying, and I could gain HCE while finishing up bachelors degree?? Then I could start that soon, stop working where I am now maybe a yr from now or something after I got the schooling done, and work in HC, have better hours to fit schooling in, and gain HCE at the same time... I know I am EMT, but I am talking more along the lines of resp therapist? Phlebotomy? Maybe even ultra sound? I know some may take 2 yrs or so, but it's a thought... Just thinkin out loud here. I think if I got education in somethin that will allow me to start in maybe 1-2 yrs time and it pays decent, I'll be able to stop here, do that, gain HCE, and continue school while using the education I just recieved towards my bachelors... Whew lol. Thanks again everyone

Archived