National Guard during gap years?

Hello, first time posting on this forum but I need some genuine advice. I graduated in May of 2022 and I couldn't decide on a career path for a few months until I came across the PA profession. I always wanted to serve but I also had an interest in medicine so I thought that if I became a PA and enlisted I could fulfill both of those dreams. Medical school isn't an option because I want to serve while I'm still young (about to turn 23) and the long term commitment, possibility of getting stuck with a residency I may not want and debt wasn't appealing to me. Now that I decided to apply to PA school I'll be taking my GRE in 1 month and I still have anatomy and physiology I and II to take within the next year. Currently getting my experience hours working in a hospital as a PT tech with brain and spinal chord injury patients, also worked as a behavioral technician for a few months prior to this new job at a mental facility. My plan is to apply for both the AirForce HPSP scholarship (first choice) and the Navy HSCP scholarship (second choice) to pay for PA school and hopefully commission as a PA for either branch for 3 years. I already contacted the respective healthcare recruiter officers to make sure these scholarships cover PA school which they do, can't apply to the Army because of IPAP and I'm not enlisted. However considering that the application cycle takes a whole year, in reality I'm looking at a 2025 start date for PA school if I'm accepted on my first go. My question is if you were in my position would you join the National Guard during these gap years? Outside of the 2 classes I have to take and working my healthcare experience job I still want to do more in these next two years and I think being in the National Guard might help my application for these scholarships or might even allow me to apply for IPAP as well. The only thing that has me thinking is how to manage being in the national guard during PA school, considering the smallest contract I could possibly get might be 3 years. Which means my first year of PA school and my last year of National guard would collide. 

• 2 months later...

I had a classmate in PA school that was in the Air Guard during PA school. She absolutely dreaded having to go to drill on the weekends she could have spent studying.

If being a PA is your current career goal, focus on becoming a PA. Hold off on the NG. Doing both at the same time, means doing neither. NG isn't going anywhere and will be there when you graduate PA school. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, Cristopher said:

Hello, first time posting on this forum but I need some genuine advice. I graduated in May of 2022 and I couldn't decide on a career path for a few months until I came across the PA profession. I always wanted to serve but I also had an interest in medicine so I thought that if I became a PA and enlisted I could fulfill both of those dreams. Medical school isn't an option because I want to serve while I'm still young (about to turn 23) and the long term commitment, possibility of getting stuck with a residency I may not want and debt wasn't appealing to me. Now that I decided to apply to PA school I'll be taking my GRE in 1 month and I still have anatomy and physiology I and II to take within the next year. Currently getting my experience hours working in a hospital as a PT tech with brain and spinal chord injury patients, also worked as a behavioral technician for a few months prior to this new job at a mental facility. My plan is to apply for both the AirForce HPSP scholarship (first choice) and the Navy HSCP scholarship (second choice) to pay for PA school and hopefully commission as a PA for either branch for 3 years. I already contacted the respective healthcare recruiter officers to make sure these scholarships cover PA school which they do, can't apply to the Army because of IPAP and I'm not enlisted. However considering that the application cycle takes a whole year, in reality I'm looking at a 2025 start date for PA school if I'm accepted on my first go. My question is if you were in my position would you join the National Guard during these gap years? Outside of the 2 classes I have to take and working my healthcare experience job I still want to do more in these next two years and I think being in the National Guard might help my application for these scholarships or might even allow me to apply for IPAP as well. The only thing that has me thinking is how to manage being in the national guard during PA school, considering the smallest contract I could possibly get might be 3 years. Which means my first year of PA school and my last year of National guard would collide. 

I am currently in the Air National Guard full time and applying for school. I am different as I am retiring at the end of the ear but one thing to keep in mind is, you need 50 points for a good year, (to stay in the Guard) you get 15 points for being a member so you have to get the other 35 points by either drill (each day equals 2 points) or by other orders (1 for 1). There is the chance you could deploy to, it's up to your unit if you go or not. I recommend going to check out other units on a drill weekend (ok it first with recruiters) to see what you may have to do. There are other requirements such as going to Basic (8 weeks) Tech School (varies, can be up to a year or more), training and more. 

• 5 months later...

As a physician assistant that was a Commander of a Medical Company in the National Guard I had two soldiers who were attending PA school locally. I sat them down and told them my expectations. I told them that they were to come to drill isolate them in a quiet corner of the Armory and they were to study. I even let them split train and come in during the week and "drill" ie: study.

They were required to complete anything mandatory Army requirements but their focus was successful completion of Physician Assistant school. In addition for annual training I was able to get them both home station training. Meaning they didn't have to go with the unit and had to come to the Armory when not attending classes and study. I retired in 2005. Both soldiers were commissioned in the National Guard as physician assistants and are on the verge of completing 20 years service. Both thank me when I see them telling me that my leniency helped them get through PA school.

My recommendation is sit down with your 1st Sgt and Commander and  be up front with them. Ask if concessions can be made.   

• Like 1

Absolutely do not join the Guard if it'll make you go through PA school having to balance your service obligation as a lower enlisted with barely any time in service. Go through PA school, apply for the HPSP (not applicable for the Guard or Reserve, only for active duty for PA school), and do your service as an officer.

- An Army Guard lower enlisted applying to PA school.

I was in the guard when I went through PA school.  I had already been active duty first, been in the guard for years, and had just gotten back from deployment with the unit.  They were very very supportive and made accommodations for me.  Being new to the military and new to a unit, I think would be hard in my opinion while in PA school.  I say you just commission after PA school, even though I think prior enlisted officers are the best (personal opinion).