PAs and Forensic rotations/feilds

In undergrad, I studied forensic science and became super interested in forensics. I wanted to see if anyone is aware of roles physician assistants could have in forensics to try out as an elective rotation. I know there are pathology assistants and their roles are different than a physician assistant, but still think it would be interesting to get to do a rotation with a forensic pathologist or something like this. Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had the chance to rotate with one or something similar? I know there is regular pathology which is more microscopic based, but I am interested in learning more of the disease processes through gross anatomy and autopsy. Any feedback is greatly appreciated 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 9:26 AM, Farafish260 said:

My undergrad degree is in forensic toxicology and I'm a PA...if you're interested in forensic pathology become a Path Assistant. There are tons of jobs for PaTH As out there. There would be no role for a PA in forensic pathology 

might be a little late to become a path assistant when I'm halfway done PA school 😅 I like the role of PA so that's why I ended up choosing it over pathology assistant, but I just wanted to see if there's any possible roles we could have in the field or if anyone had experience working or rotating with one. Thanks for your response! 

On 5/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, eventuallyPA said:

might be a little late to become a path assistant when I'm halfway done PA school 😅 I like the role of PA so that's why I ended up choosing it over pathology assistant, but I just wanted to see if there's any possible roles we could have in the field or if anyone had experience working or rotating with one. Thanks for your response! 

You can look into maybe being an assistant to like a path that does autopsies but again, PathAs also do that...

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, eventuallyPA said:

One of my best friends went from PathA after 10 years to PA....now she's a surgical first assist PA....the prior job experience with grossing, specimen handling, has been invaluable to her...

• Thanks 1