Should I accept an offer?

I am in a bit of a dilemma, although it is admittedly not a bad situation to be in! I recently received word of my acceptance to a PA program that starts in January. Here are the issues:

- This school starts a lot earlier than I'd like it to. I live across the country, so would have to move in 2 months and leave my family behind until my husband could find a job out there, etc. While I will do whatever it takes to get into PA school, the situation is not ideal. I have already asked about the possibility of deferring, and they will not allow it. It is the only school I applied to with this early a start time, and I applied mainly to expand my options.

- It is a new PA program this year, and while I have confidence that it will be an exceptional program based on their facilities, program faculty, and reputation of their grad schools and medical school, it is still a risk, and difficult to assess how well the first year will go.

- I have five more interviews lined up so far (including an interview my top choice), all for programs that start at a later date. I am still waiting to hear from seven other programs.

What do you think I should do??? Even though I have a good number of interviews left, that certainly does not guarantee me an offer, and I would really regret declining this invitation if it turned out the be the only one I got! $500 is a lot though...and I won't necessarily hear from all of the schools before the program start time. The deadline for a response is coming up at the end of next week, so I really need to make a decision soon. I am feeling very stuck!

I think you'd be foolish to turn it down, given the ultra-competitive nature of the admissions process and the fact that there are no guarantees. Do you want to be stuck for another year if you turn this opportunity down and none of your other options work out? That's admittedly a worst-case scenario, but it's certainly not implausible...

I'm in a similar position, and I decided to just pay the $500 deposit. I am currently waiting to hear back from my first choice, but I couldn't stand the thought of having to reapply in an entire year all because I didn't want to forego the $500. Based on average starting salaries after acquiring that coveted PA-C credential, $500 isn't really that much of a setback when looking at it in a broad based picture. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Well if you applied to that many schools, you spent over $500 on your applications. So, if you didn't accept and by some odd chance didn't get into any of the other schools, you would be spending more than $500 to re-apply! So I would put down the deposit and go for the other interviews! Good luck and congrats!

What feeling did you get from the interview? I haven't started yet, but there I will be starting a program in January that has provisional accredidation and is up for full in September 2013. As long as they have solid plans for their rotation sites and their curriculum I would not consider the program a risk. As competitive as it is getting to gain admission I would atleast put your deposit down to hold your spot unless your absolutely sure you don't want to go there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and input! I got a really good feel from the interview - I really liked all of the people I met, loved the facilities, and know that they will turn out top notch PAs. I am just worried that I won't hear from the other programs by then; I just don't want to start the program, only to find out too late that I have gotten in to a school that I preferred. I think I will probably end up sucking up the $500 just so I know I at least have a place SOMEWHERE.

Archived