How to let patients know what a PA does?

Hi guys,

Just started my first gig in Internal Med in an expanding practice that never had a PA before. The physician and support staff know what a PA does as a mid-level provider but some patients are having trouble grasping the concept. I've had over 10 patients refuse to see an "assistant to the physician for treatment" today and it was a little frustrating. The MA's rooming the patients ask if they would see me or not - then I get turned down and I don't even get the chance to tell them what I can do for them. How has your practice educated patients about utilizing a PA?

For starters... You can STOP referring to yourself and what you are supposed to be doing for them as "Mid-Level"...

Cause when I go to the clinic for medical care, I expect high level or full level care.

Also download the "PA Brochure," edit accordingly, print a few dozen copies and scatter them around the waiting room and in the exam rooms you use. Check several times a day for missing ones and replace them immeadiatley.

What/where is this "PA brochure" of which you speak?

For starters... You can STOP referring to yourself and what you are supposed to be doing for them as "Mid-Level"...

Cause when I go to the clinic for medical care, I expect high level or full level care.

Also download the "PA Brochure," edit accordingly, print a few dozen copies and scatter them around the waiting room and in the exam rooms you use. Check several times a day for missing ones and replace them immeadiatley.

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely print out that PA brochure and stop referring to myself as mid level provider. I'll just have the MA's say "we have another provider who is available to see you, his name is Wonk" and then when i come into the room, i'll dazzle them with my kindness after I introduce myself as a PA. awesome!

You are welcome.

I used this brochure as a student.

I printed out a couple dozen in color on heavy weight card stock and distributed them around the waiting rooms and exam rooms while on clinical rotations.

What I found was that when I entered the exam rooms, the patients were reading them and able to ask intellegent questions about me or PAs in general. The Brochures really helped stimulate the conversation.

It worked so well that I edited them and used them at every outpatient practice I have worked at since.

Archived