Practice Ownership Percentage

I am in the research stage of starting a private practice, however I am having some difficulty understanding legality of practice ownership. I have been reading about Corporate Practice of Medicine, MSO's and PC's and I am evermore confused. Specifically, what percentage of a private practice can a PA legally own?  I am hoping someone here can help me clear this up before I start paying a lawyer for my ignorance.

I have read that a physician must own 51% in California, however I am not sure if this is correct. Reading through some of the other threads, I have seen 1% is the requirement for physician ownership, but only a requirement for Medicare.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that different states might have different laws. I only know about my state, where I owned  a practice. In Washington, if you organize as a LLC rather than a PLLC, then the PA can own 100%. However, as you have allude to, CMS required less than 100% ownership by the PA, thus the 99% limit if you did business with them. There was some attempts to remove this restriction from CMS, but honestly, I don't know if that ever went through. In a PLLC, again in Washington state, each owner had to be of the same profession. So, if the PA wanted to do business with CMS and wanted to organize as a PLLC, then the other 1% owner had to be a PA. In my case, the 1% owner was an MD so that's why I had to organized as a LLC.

• 4 weeks later...