A few questions, please answer (:

Hello.

1. If you have a good GPA nad good direct HCE and some experience as a candystriper along with a few shadowing hours, is it important to do research?

2. On the CASPA it aks for volunteer experienec that is not health care related, both of my volunteer spots are related to health care. Is it important to do volunteer work not related to health care to look well rounded? Also, I participated in Relay for Life (a walk for cancer), would that count as volunteer work not related to health care?

3. How many hours are good of shadowing a PA? I only shadowed one for like 10 hrs but I also shadowed a CRNA for a day. Do I need more shadowing hours?

Thanks for your help.

1. Research is not important for PA school admissions. (I didn't have any.)

2. Non-healthcare volunteering will make you a good person, but will not help you get into PA school. List it if you have it (relay for life doesn't count) but don't worry about it if you don't have any. (I didn't have any worth listing.)

3. I am also in the "shadowing is BS" camp. You say you have a fair amound of direct patient care HCE. That's great. You also have some shadowing hours. That should make the ad coms happy....however it wouldn't hurt to double check with the schools to which you are applying to see if they put a high value on shadowing hours. (I had 12K hours of HCE (paramedic) and 2 shifts of shadowing (because one program required it))

Agree w/ everyone but if you had a bigger role in Relay I think you can list it. I was a team captain and did a lot of extra fundraising/coordinating everything beforehand. It can be nice to shadow in 2-3 different specialties/settings, gives you some firsthand observation of the lateral flexibility catchphrase that's always coming up.

I only walked at Relay for Life. Also, if things go as planned then I will have a 4.0 at UCF and a 3.88 for my AA degree. I use to volunteer at a hospital at the main desk. I also volunteer at a fire station and just finished CNA class. I will probably have 2,000 hours, gie or take, by the time I apply.

Archived