Facebook during lecture

I've noticed that a good number of my classmates are on Facebook (or other sites) during lectures. I try to just focus on myself and not pay attention, but I have to say that it kind of bothers me. What they may miss during class while "liking" their friend's joke of the day could be life or death for a patient. And I also think it's disrespectful towards the professors. I try to lead by example and only use my computer for note-taking during lecture, but it's hard not to get frustrated.

Anyone else run into this? Should I even try to address this?

Hmm, I remember the first month being all focused. Many folks need a little distraction (doing more than one thing at a time)! All have different ways of getting the material, never know they may have already read the book, took notes and just use lecture to reinforce. I sat next to a girl who was really smart but distracted in lecture, I paid attention in class and studied less at home. I'd say relax and find what works for you, a lot of things you learn in didactic are really made real in clinical year. You'll forget a lot, learn that you obsessed over details that weren't relavant (or less common), and get in all stamped in :)

Best

I've noticed that a good number of my classmates are on Facebook (or other sites) during lectures. I try to just focus on myself and not pay attention, but I have to say that it kind of bothers me. What they may miss during class while "liking" their friend's joke of the day could be life or death for a patient. And I also think it's disrespectful towards the professors. I try to lead by example and only use my computer for note-taking during lecture, but it's hard not to get frustrated.

Anyone else run into this? Should I even try to address this?

Please remember, you are in grad school now. Be concerned about your own ability to retain the material, don't waste your time trying to get others to do what you think they should be doing. This is your education, the same as it is theirs. You are paying to be there, BUT so are they. How they choose to spend their time in class (that they are paying for) is not really your concern. Some people retain more from lecture, others retain more from personal study after lecture. It's not really up to you to dictate how they learn.

Besides, you would probably get some pushback from classmates that perceive you as 'overbearing'. Their opinion of you shouldn't matter, but they can probably make your life pretty miserable since you spend so much time with them on a daily basis.

Bottom line, do what works for you, let them do the same. If they sink then it will be their own fault.

I didn't post this in class! :) Anyway, I think I'm just going to let it go...I noticed this afternoon that even my friends are doing it and it would be weird to say anything to them I think. I did mention it to one girl in class and she said it bothered her too, so I know I'm not alone. I'm trying my best to focus on myself and my work. I know that I don't want to FB in class and need to pay attention, so that's what I'm going to do. And I'll be happy when I get pimped next year and know the answers while the "Facebookers" have the blank stare happening. Thanks for the input.

Find a way to focus better in class.

Just worry about you. You have enough to keep busy, right? You don't need a crusade that will alienate your colleagues and make you look like a prude/pot-stirrer to the profs. If your school is anything like mine, they are very aware of what occurs between and among students in the program.

I am guilty of popping up a Facebook tab here and there, or studying for other classes while I am in lecture. We have mandatory attendance and honestly, there are some lecturers who read directly off of the slides and have little to offer in supplemental teaching. I'm pretty good at figuring out when I'm better off to be fully paying attention and when I should be learning something else or even unwinding my brain for a few minutes on my news feed. If other people are looking at FB when they really SHOULD be listening, then it will come back and bite them in the butt later on. Everybody has to learn the material one way or the other to pass the PANCE and do well on rotations. As others have said, your focus should be on yourself and what you are learning, not to be the FB police for the rest of the class.

who cares what others are doing. some people have the ability to surf and listen at the same time (multitasking). i did, and i still managed to ace tests and pass the PANCE. if i sat and stared at the powerpoints on the screen for 8 hours all day i would have gone crazy. just bc i browsed the net for my sanity didnt mean i wasnt listening to the speaker, and didnt mean i didnt study at home and know my ish come test time. stop looking at your classmate's computers and focus on yourself. if you cant do that, then sit in the front as others suggested

Please remember, you are in grad school now. Be concerned about your own ability to retain the material, don't waste your time trying to get others to do what you think they should be doing. This is your education, the same as it is theirs. You are paying to be there, BUT so are they. How they choose to spend their time in class (that they are paying for) is not really your concern. Some people retain more from lecture, others retain more from personal study after lecture. It's not really up to you to dictate how they learn.

... [brevity edit] ...

Bottom line, do what works for you, let them do the same. If they sink then it will be their own fault.

^^^^ That^^^ is spot on advice there...

That being said...A lecturer knows when they have lost the audience. It is brazenly disrespectful to tune out the speaker and not participate. The apathetic student/students reflect negatively on the class as a whole even if the lecture blows chunks. So if you, and I mean me, because I am a multi tasker, are going to do things non lecturer focused at least have the decency to ask a question or give an answer once in awhile to demonstrate you are at least partially tuned in.

Our lecturers came from the local providers in town. If they feel the class isn't tuned in at all then they are reluctant to take students for rotations as no one wants a chucklehead student. Those lecturers also talk to their peers and pretty soon their peers don't want students from your program as well.

Keep in mind that your experience and actions through PA school are not isolated nor independent.

That being said...A lecturer knows when they have lost the audience. It is brazenly disrespectful to tune out the speaker and not participate. The apathetic student/students reflect negatively on the class as a whole even if the lecture blows chunks. So if you, and I mean me, because I am a multi tasker, are going to do things non lecturer focused at least have the decency to ask a question or give an answer once in awhile to demonstrate you are at least partially tuned in.

Our lecturers came from the local providers in town. If they feel the class isn't tuned in at all then they are reluctant to take students for rotations as no one wants a chucklehead student. Those lecturers also talk to their peers and pretty soon their peers don't want students from your program as well.

Keep in mind that your experience and actions through PA school are not isolated nor independent.

This is another good reason to sit towards the front & be engaged. I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet that classroom professionalism plays a big part in clinical site selection for students. No school wants to burn a really good site by sending them their worst students. Maybe LesH can chime in on this one.

Yeah I pretty much always sit in the front row, sometimes the second row depending on the classroom. I guess that I'm coming at this issue in that I want to show respect to the teacher and that I want to learn the maximum that I can from the lecture. I'm also trying to mentally prepare myself for the clinical year. I'm not going to be able to multi-task through FaceBook or whatever while I'm on the clinical sites. So even if I think it's boring, I'm trying to pay attention because it's not going to fly to look bored out on clinicals. I appreciate the advice about focusing on myself and that's what I'm going to do.

Speaking as a current second year (shot out to the NOVA-Orlando student in the class under me) the reality is that the OP should focus on themselves. Where you or someone else sits is largely immaterial in terms of performance. I know of multiple individuals who sit in the back and ace exams regularly. I sit in the back personally and while I do not ACE exams, I am holding steady at an A- average in a program that is both competitive to get in and pretty intense (though I would surmise that this applies to most PA programs). Most people have determined how they learn by the time they enter Grad-School and as such will act accordingly. I really never understood how it affected others if I am not paying attention because somewhere after the 5th hour of sitting in the same seat all day it all seems a bit monotone. Sure, if I suddenly do cartwheel or something I can see that but really, it is just down to how the individual chooses to learn. Trust me, if you are in your first semester (or even second) there are a lot more important things than worrying about the person two rows up being on Facebook.

As for rotations, the info presented in school is largely the basis but when you get on rotations, you WILL have that clueless look on your face. If you do not, then there are several things that may have occured: (1) you are of genius level intellect with something akin eidetic memory (statistically less likely), (2) your preceptor doesnt care enough to truly pimp and stump you, or (3) you are possibly not on the best rotation. In someways you want to have the clueless look now and again (not all the time mind you) because what inevitably follows is "Look it up and tell me about it" to which creates those "I will not ever forget this" moments. What sucks (in a good way) is when your preceptor pimps you on something that does not have an answer. I spent 5 min or so postulating on why something occurs during a certain disease process only to be told "No one knows why and your theory could be possible, but who knows" However, I learned a fair bit about miscellaneous yet related information in my quest for the right answer. Whatever you decide to do, keep your head up and good luck.

This is spot on advice too. As a teacher, I can tell you that the front is typically where the good students are.

i gotta say, i sat in the back with my friends and we were good students. we also surfed the internet while taking notes and listening to the lecturer, i guess because we were trying to unwind and pay attention at the same time. we all graduated with good grades. :)

i gotta say, i sat in the back with my friends and we were good students. we also surfed the internet while taking notes and listening to the lecturer, i guess because we were trying to unwind and pay attention at the same time. we all graduated with good grades. :)

Yes, there are those types too :)

Some of my smartest students sit in the back, are always the first ones to turn in tests, & are consistently earning A's. But, there's more to school than getting good grades, & professionalism is still very important. You just never know who you might run into.

The reason I, personally, sit in front is not because I'm the most stellar student (although I do alright and don't study much), but because I am easily distracted.......chatter, someone playing with their hair, doors slamming, Facebook, texting, etc. We are all adults paying the same $$ for our education and I couldn't care less what others in the class do, except that I can't focus. Sitting in front is my way of making myself pay attention because there's no way I'm going to fall asleep or doodle or, well, anything other than take notes when I'm right under the profs nose.

Archived