Why do I keep getting waitlisted?

This is my second year applying to PA school, my first year I got 2 interviews and got waitlisted to both programs.

This year I got 5 interviews, exciting right? - short answer is no.......

I have gone to 3 interviews so far and have been put on 2 waitlists, 1 I haven't heard back but know they have accepted other students. I have 2 more interviews coming up but I don't feel great. I have done a few mock interviews with a PA from my PA platform, my friend and bf and have improved from my first interview of the cycle ( I think) but I am just so confused as to what I am doing wrong. I reached out to the program that most recently waitlisted me and asked for feedback. I am frustrated at this point, am I even going to get in?

- A discouraged applicant

14 minutes ago, Aimeeperryn said:

This is my second year applying to PA school, my first year I got 2 interviews and got waitlisted to both programs.

This year I got 5 interviews, exciting right? - short answer is no.......

I have gone to 3 interviews so far and have been put on 2 waitlists, 1 I haven't heard back but know they have accepted other students. I have 2 more interviews coming up but I don't feel great. I have done a few mock interviews with a PA from my PA platform, my friend and bf and have improved from my first interview of the cycle ( I think) but I am just so confused as to what I am doing wrong. I reached out to the program that most recently waitlisted me and asked for feedback. I am frustrated at this point, am I even going to get in?

- A discouraged applicant

I'm so sorry to hear this. On the plus side, you have 2 interviews to go (I gather).

I think it is possible to overprepare and psych yourself out so...

1. Go, be interested, be positive, and be open. Act like you're meeting your boyfriend's/girlfriend's parents for the first time -- or your boss' boss. Be friendly, maybe just a tad reserved, and don't overshare.

2. Inside, remember that this isn't match point at Wimbledon. Instead, this whole adventure is going to work out in a way that is the best for you, regardless of what happens today.

3. Don't overthink things and attribute motives to the questions you are asked: just answer the question directly. If there is something about your grades, etc that concerns you, have an answer ready. Otherwise, just relax and go with the flow. I've seen interviewers ask what body part you'd like to be and why. Do they really care about your answer? Heck no! They just want to see how you can think on your feet, something PAs have to do many times every day.

4. Programs don't want problem children: show that you are a nice person who they will be happy to have in their class.

6. If possible, try to make a personal connection with whoever is interviewing you. They once sat where you are.

Best wishes. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. On the plus side, you have 2 interviews to go (I gather).

I think it is possible to overprepare and psych yourself out so...

1. Go, be interested, be positive, and be open. Act like you're meeting your boyfriend's/girlfriend's parents for the first time -- or your boss' boss. Be friendly, maybe just a tad reserved, and don't overshare.

2. Inside, remember that this isn't match point at Wimbledon. Instead, this whole adventure is going to work out in a way that is the best for you, regardless of what happens today.

3. Don't overthink things and attribute motives to the questions you are asked: just answer the question directly. If there is something about your grades, etc that concerns you, have an answer ready. Otherwise, just relax and go with the flow. I've seen interviewers ask what body part you'd like to be and why. Do they really care about your answer? Heck no! They just want to see how you can think on your feet, something PAs have to do many times every day.

4. Programs don't want problem children: show that you are a nice person who they will be happy to have in their class.

6. If possible, try to make a personal connection with whoever is interviewing you. They once sat where you are.

Best wishes. 

This is such a nice response, thank you. After every waitlist it gets easier and easier to bounce back, I just have put so much into this and have basically no return on my years of hard work. I have two more interviews to go so I will be sure to use the suggestions that you mentioned. Thank you again, this cheered me up a little!

• Like 1