Can I submit my application without references?????

Hi,

I am having difficulty finding people to write me a recommendation. I want to submit my application today, but the three people have not confirmed with me that they will write me a recommendation letter. If I submit my application today...can I log back to my submitted application and change the people I have down for references??? I would greatly appreciate anyone's response. I'm stressing out.

Also I have another quick question. I am taking some RN courses while I wait to get into a PA program. My nursing instructors are nurse practitioners and I would like to ask them for a recommendation, but right now they think I'm planning to be an RN since I started their 2 year RN program. Most of the students there are aspiring to be RNs or nurse practitioners. I don't know if she will frown upon me attending a nursing school which I don't plan to complete if I'm accepted to a PA program. What do you think? Am I over analyzing?

I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance!

well it does kinda suck that you took that nursing seat knowing that you wouldnt finish if you got into a PA program.....taking the seat and working in the field even for one application cycle is different in my book...there are some on here that would disagree but they would feel differently if it were someone taking a PA program seat but waiting for a verdict on a med school app...anywho they probably will look down on it but who cares right its your life.

as for submitting Im not sure if you can change them....I do know that you can e-submit now but your app will not be mailed out until at least 2 letters have been received. Judging by how long GPA calculations are taking I would submit ASAP....plus a lot of deadlines have passed...I think the next one for most programs is 11/1

Yeah your right. That's what I was thinking too. That's why I don't want to ask her. The reason why I applied was because someone told me I should have a backup plan in case I don't get accepted on my first try. I can work as a nurse and gain experience then save money for PA school. The only good thing about me being in the RN program is that I'm learning how to do hand on things like wound care, NG tube feedings, and foley catheters insertion as well as having a deeper appreciation for RNs.

In my personal statement I mention in one sentence that I am currently taking a few RN courses to get more patient care experience while I wait to be accepted into PA school. Should I state that in my personal statement?

PAMAC you make really good points. I wish I can go back in time now, and have joined this PA helper program they have at USC hospital. I was thinking of doing that, but then so many say you have a better chance with paid experience. I only have volunteer experience. I was trying so hard last year finding a job in the health care field. I had no luck! All they wanted was people with experience or with a certificate. I think you are right maybe I should wait till next year to apply, but I really wanted to apply this year. Thank you for your input. :)

just_me, that's good to know. Thanks.

Trust me I know how you feel...I have many of the skills of an MA but no certification. Heck it was hard finding a job with my certifications. Funny thing is I just now found a job as a MA no certification needed.....craigslist can be your friend lol

PAMAC you make really good points. I wish I can go back in time now, and have joined this PA helper program they have at USC hospital. I was thinking of doing that, but then so many say you have a better chance with paid experience. I only have volunteer experience. I was trying so hard last year finding a job in the health care field. I had no luck! All they wanted was people with experience or with a certificate. I think you are right maybe I should wait till next year to apply, but I really wanted to apply this year. Thank you for your input. :)

just_me, that's good to know. Thanks.

@PAMAC-there was someone in our class who did that. In nursing school and got accepted into our program and never looked back. I was a nurse first on my way to NP when my counselor told me about a new program. I applied and never looked back. You may or may not find a hospital that will reimburse you for your education. With all the cutbacks at least get it in writing.

That's great you found a position without a certificate. I'm going to continue to try again and hope I find one on craigslist. Are you applying to a PA program this year?

Yes.....I still have over 2k in direct patient contact hours so I think I have a shot but I would like to keep accruing quality hours just in case

I found nursing to be subjective vs objective. Nursing just wasn't fair on the playing field. Too many instructors had their favorite pets. I saw this when I b/c an ADN and when I went back for my BSN. However they have a powerful lobby and no one can take that away from them. I love and respect nurses and I always will. But I saw too much disconnect between the nursing programs and also the instructors. Which ever hospital you go into the "dogma" changes according to which admin is in at the time. I have no regrets leaving the profession but will always hold nursing and the nurses close to my heart.

I am in a 2 year program. I started this past August. I want to join this volunteer program where you shadow as well as assist PAs in the emergency room. I have to try to squeeze some hours in my already hectic/busy schedule. I really wanted to apply this year. I wish I didn't have to wait 2 years to start a PA program. I have everything ready. I sent my transcripts, but I don't have any references. frown.gif

PAMAC you're right. Maybe if I wait and finish the RN program I can get into one of my top PA programs

I'm definitely not going to ask my nursing instructors. I was just thinking about it and was wondering if it was a good idea to ask them or not. Some people told me "ya ask them. it's your life," and others said no that will probably bother them. I was just wishing I had other people write me a good recommendation. I asked a doctor and nurse, but they said they were too busy. I'm just going to wait and apply next year.

Marylinpac- no I did not shadow any PAs. I have shadowed nurses in this Clinical Care Extender Program I did for one year four years ago.

PAMAC- Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. By the way, I got one response back from the people I've contacted for letters of recs today. My anatomy professor said he is willing to do a LOR for me. So I finally got one person who said yes. lol.

Marylinpac- no I did not shadow any PAs. I have shadowed nurses in this Clinical Care Extender Program I did for one year four years ago.

PAMAC- Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. By the way, I got one response back from the people I've contacted for letters of recs today. My anatomy professor said he is willing to do a LOR for me. So I finally got one person who said yes. lol.

Then how in the heck do you know you want to be a PA?

Because I've come across them, and I like what they do. just because I haven't shadowed them doesn't mean i'm clueless about what they do. I've done lots of questioning and research as well as interacted with some throughout my life time. While in the program I have seen what they do, just wasn't allowed to following them around everywhere they went, but this was 5 years ago and now nobody there remembers who I am. So can't ask them for LORs

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowing certainly wouldn't hurt, though... It's one thing to read about what a PA does, and actually shadowing one when he/she comes across a complex psych case where the patient is so paranoid that there are cameras in the room that they can barely make a connection after 15 minutes. It helps if you can go in multiple settings and see how the role changes between a primary care PA and one who rounds on open heart patients in the hospital. The amount of time they see their patients, their relationship with their SP/nurses/support staff, their independence, etc. can change drastically.

• 3 months later...
I found nursing to be subjective vs objective. Nursing just wasn't fair on the playing field. Too many instructors had their favorite pets. I saw this when I b/c an ADN and when I went back for my BSN. However they have a powerful lobby and no one can take that away from them. I love and respect nurses and I always will. But I saw too much disconnect between the nursing programs and also the instructors. Which ever hospital you go into the "dogma" changes according to which admin is in at the time. I have no regrets leaving the profession but will always hold nursing and the nurses close to my heart.

Marylinpac,

I hope you read this. I remember you telling me the above quote last year.

I ended up staying in the nursing program, and I did not end up applying to a physician assistant program. I took PAMAC's advise and thought I can apply later after working as a nurse. I am in my second semester now. This is my second time in the med-surg floor, and I am currently having a problem with my clinical instructor. All of the instructors and staff are really nice and supportive expect for her. I was really motivated in becoming a nurse, but now not so much. My clinical instructor is new to the nursing program, and she is horrible! She'll say things like "you have no common since, its like you have nothing up there...and she'll attack you on a personal level as well." She's just horrible...nothing what I expected. I never had an instructor be so negative and critical like that towards me. She gives no positive feedback what so ever. She has her favorites, and I'm not one of them. I really do not like this whole situation...that's not what I call in instructor...a real instructor treats all students the same and fairly, and should be encouraging, supportive, motivating, positive, and make you feel like you can do it...because only this way can they help students build up their confidence level and motivation to succeed. Now that I am in this situation I reflect back to the post you posted last year.

I was wondering what you are doing now? Are you pursing a career as a physician assistant or are you a PA? Do you know if PA school is similar to some nursing schools where instructors play the favorite student card or is this just happening mostly in nursing schools? That's just sad to see how some nurse instructors can treat their students this way...is this how they treated their patients? It really frustrates me...that I'm actually told the dean of the nursing department about her behavior and all three of us are going to be meeting this coming week to discuss my concerns. I can not learn with negativity like that. Negativity doesn't help me become a better nurse.

Archived