Pre-PA Student looking for advice.

Okay so I know this topic isn't for everyone because I've been met with a lot of disapproval whenever I bring up topics on “holistic” “alternative” “quaker” medicine, whatever you want to call it. However, I would love to hear some peoples opinions. I wanted to be an MD but as I learned more about alternative medicine I realize that I may not fully align with the western style of medicine we practice here. my whole goal is to really to provide alternatives like lifestyle changes, herbal medicine is possible to prevent and possibly reverse and of course if it is necessary or an alignment has progressed too far we incorporate pharmaceuticals and whatever other medical procedures are necessary.

I am not against either side but i truly think there is a lot of benefit in both and I wish more physicians would understand that integration is such a good way to practice. I don’t like the business side of medicine and honestly I think many physicians know that “alternative” medicine does have its place but choose to kinda of sweep it under the rug so they don't have to hear about it. Ultimately that side of medicine messes with business and they aren’t here for that.

With that being said would I have a greater chance of practicing integrative medicine as a PA or an MD? or Should I move more towards ND? I know there are limitations but I just want to find the best route for me to be able to holistically look at a patient and have open scope. Has anyone had any experience with this or found their own path in medicine doing so? Please let me know. Thanks! 

I would STRONGLY discourage you from going the ND route. While I agree with you that there is room for more holistic approaches in western medicine, NDs are not physicians despite their claims to be alternatives to traditional MDs/DOs. We tend to conflate physicians with doctors but not all doctors are physicians; physicians are specifically MDs and DOs. An ND can technically call themself a doctor (because they earn a doctorate degree) but it is wildly different than an accredited medical school degree.

Agree with above - wouldn't ever recommend ND. 

In general I disagree with the "integrative approach," however, there are integrative medicine fellowships for MD/DOs. There are certainly integrative medicine clinics that hire PAs as well. Ultimately if that is what you want to do I think either would be conducive, you just have to decide if you want to be a PA or a doc.

I had a few lectures on integrative/alternative/holistic medicine during PA school and at the end of the day the majority of it just isn't evidence based. Would recommend reading the books Do You Believe in Magic and reading some of what Britt Hermes (a former ND) has written about NDs. Her blog is here.

I share your view that medicine should include a more holistic approach.  There are options for PAs and MD/DO.  There is an area called functional medicine that looks more at the root cause of an issue and takes more of an integrative approach.  MD/DO can earn board certification in functional medicine while PAs and APRNs can become certified and practice under their own respective licenses after completing training, however the training is not standardized like a formal medical program is.  There are also options such as pursuing an additional certification such as acupuncture after completing a PA program and incorporating it into your practice.   The University of Bridgeport in CT has a PA program that takes a more integrative approach and actually has a course in integrative medicine where students learn about the different complimentary modalities such as chiropractic, acupuncture and naturopathic medicine (the school has programs in chiro and acupuncture and just recently closed their school of naturopathic medicine).