What's your take on whether I should even try to apply?

Hi there, I'm a recent graduate with a BS in Genetics at a UC school but very low GPA.. a 2.9. I know I meet the minimum for Touro,CA's GPA but I'm definitely sure there are many other higher GPA applicants. My GPA only dropped in my last two years due to a family related problem. But before I graduated I volunteered at a non-profit clinic for a year as an interpreter/doing back office MA work. After graduation, I went ahead and got myself a medical assistant certificate and is now working as a MA for a small clinic. I will have great LOR from the MD I work under and a teacher from my MA program. Would that be sufficient? At the same time I'm volunteering at a pediatric clinic for less than 10 hrs a week but it'll add up over time. I'm also looking into shadowing some PAs. But the bottom line is should I even try to apply the next coming cycle? I would also try to retake some of the prereqs that I got Cs in before applying since the current cycle is still ongoing. Sorry this was kind of long and thanks for any input!

It sounds like you have a good plan in place by wanting to retake the classes you made C's in. Definitely do some PA shadowing, and if possible, try to get a PA to write a LOR for you. Several schools strongly suggest that you have a LOR written by a PA, so it's best to go ahead and try to establish a good relationship with one. Keep in mind that CASPA requires you to include all of your grades, even for classes that you have retaken. Your GPA may not increase substantially, so you want to be as strong as possible in the other areas PA schools look at (e.g. HCE, LORs, personal statement). Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

keaiyuki,

Never feel discouraged to apply to any PA program, regardless of their requirements. You may find that what you are lacking in one area, you are gaining in another. With that being said, apply to as many programs as you like. Regardless of if you think your chances are limited, some programs may value the other criteria in your application that you are strong in. You'll never know unless you try. What is the worst that can happen? You don't get accepted? OK, but you WILL get accepted, somewhere, someday, eventually. Keep trying and keep your head up. It's not about how many times you fail at something, it's about what you do to overcome those failures :)

Congrats on the interview!! The program is great! The faculty is very open and you can feel that they want you to succeed. So far, I am enjoying my time and my classmates. Having the public health classes adds more work so make sure you really want that second degree. But I think it's totally worth it. For the interview, just be yourself. I was so nervous, but once I got around the faculty it was pretty easy to relax and just show them who I am. Good luck!

I think you should apply. This school is great at looking past the GPA looking at the applicant as a whole. I got an interview here with a 2.83 GPA last year. Interview was very ethics based questions in a group and solo settings. They also emphasize rural experience. So make sure if you get that interview you can share you're rural HCE in the interview when the time comes.

• 2 months later...

This is really late because I forgot all about his forum... sorry...

I agree with TAdams727!!

Apply! However, if you're concerned about your GPA you can address it in your personal statement or even the supplemental. "I've learned my mistakes and now I'm serious about getting started on my career"-- it's what I did when I applied. I graduated from a UC as well with an unimpressive GPA, but I'm at Touro now, too. (I sit next to "TAdams") Also, apply early and be prompt with deadlines. Be sure to highlight your strengths and recognize your weaknesses. The latter is probably the most important attribute of any professional, in my opinion.

Your work experience sounds good. Try, if you can, to serve in underprivileged areas as that is a main mission statement of the PA profession. Shadowing a PA is also important for understanding the profession itself and what it truly encompasses. More than anything you should have a strong grasp on the career you're trying to pursue and be able to communication your dedication to achieve these goals.

Good luck to you! Believe in yourself!

• 1 month later...

Archived