Addendum Draft for PA School. PLEASE CRITIZE! THANK YOU!!!!

A school has asked me to send an addendum to address my low GPA. I appreciate it if you can proofread my draft for errors and address any needed corrections. Thank you very much =]

My father is a constant inspiration to me each and every day. He is a man that not only gave me the gift of life but also the opportunity to better my education. Being a veteran and immigrant from Vietnam, he has made numerous sacrifices to provide my family with a better life. It is the appreciation of my father and how fortunate I am to be given the opportunity to receive a complete education that motivates me to challenge myself every day. Indeed, throughout middle school and high school, I have worked hard to excel academically. Also, my family’s background has made me constantly aware of the need to be self-sufficient and financially independent so I paid for my own costs by working since high school and continued this trend in college.

During my first quarter at UCLA, I had a tough time adjusting to the pace of college but was able to raise my grades by the end of the first year. However, when my father suffered from depression, this had dramatic effects not only on my family’s finance but my grades as well. Because my father lacked insurance, I took on the responsibility to help pay for his treatments by working an additional part-time job while maintaining a full schedule of courses. My father has done so much for me and I felt obligated to help him overcome his illness by paying for his medications, assisting him in his daily routines and also being his personal interpreter at his weekly doctor visits. Balancing time for work, school, and my father was very difficult but it has taught me to better manage my time. Although times were rough, seeing my father’s improved health motivated me to continue my education while challenging myself with upper division courses as well as two minors.

In 2011, my father was approved for government assistance and my elder brother had moved back home to help care for my father. This released a lot of burden on me and I was able to drop more hours off work to focus on my education. The following semester, I was able to achieve a 4.0 GPA while taking a full schedule of classes. I am currently finishing up some last pre-requisites courses for pa school and plan to excel in them. In working towards my goal of applying to physician assistant school, I have also involved myself in numerous extracurricular activities. I volunteered my time at a student-run free clinic, family clinic, and Buddhist youth group in order to give back to my community. My hardwork is the one thing I am most proud of but my success thus far can only be dedicated to my father, who has worked so hard to provide me with this golden opportunity to succeed.

Do they want a whole essay like that? I mean I couldn't imagine an ADCOM wanting to read another essay just on grades...do they really need to know about your dad? I mean it's like a whole another PS.

When i applied, they just wanted a sentence or two. I would check with your program on length of the addendum....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Archived