I am applying to PA school and need hours, does MA or EMT look better on applications for DPCE?

I am applying to PA school in the fall, with a noncompetitive GPA so my patient care experience, shadowing and volunteer hours will have to overshine my GPA. I am currently deciding between EMT courses or accepting an MA job that is training me, so I don't have to get certified. My biggest concern is what will look better on my application, as well as gaining knowledge in the healthcare field. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to assume that you have 0 PCE/HCE. Most schools require 1yr of PCE (~2000hrs) in order to apply. Applying in the fall may not be so fruitful for you. Maybe take a gap year, and reach the 1 year of PCE. But to answer your additional question, EMT would look much better. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, BLM8867 said:

I'm going to assume that you have 0 PCE/HCE. Most schools require 1yr of PCE (~2000hrs) in order to apply. Applying in the fall may not be so fruitful for you. Maybe take a gap year, and reach the 1 year of PCE. But to answer your additional question, EMT would look much better. 

Agree as well. You would need a good amount of quality PCE to buffer a lower GPA (not sure what sanfordad means by a noncompetative GPA?). My cohort average PCE was 3400+ hours. Plus you want to get the highest yield PCE where you will learn the most in the time there that you can build upon as a PA, not “what looks good” to an Adcomm.