Anyone in combined BS/MS Physician Assistant programs?

I haven't seen any posts relating to people completing a combined BS/MS PA degree programs and was curious to those admitted to these types of programs. Instead of completing the traditional 4 year undergrad degree and 2 years master's degree(6 years total) there are programs available that offer a 4.5 or 5 degree year option. I am interested in transferring with an AA degree into a combined degree program and have noticed there isn't much information available for these types of programs.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there pursuing this track, if so where are you attending or planning on attending?

I don't think most of these programs allow you to transfer in. It's either direct entry right out of high school or nothing.

So you lock up a spot in a PA program directly out of high school?? How many college freshman know for sure they want to be a PA? Programs like these don't seem to value life experience or maturity. Maybe I'm just thinking of myself as an 18 year old who definitely wasn't mature or I'm just grumpy that I'm disqualified from applying to these programs.

My daughter is in one such program, just started her freshman year. They are meant for high school students and do not accept transfer students or anyone with any prior college credits. My daughter is very driven and has known for almost 3 years now what she wants to do. These programs are not for just any high school student.

My daughter is very driven and has known for almost 3 years now what she wants to do. These programs are not for just any high school student.

That's awesome and inspiring to have so much direction, motivation and maturity as a high school student. I'm taking O-chem I with a dual enrolled high school senior that will have his AA by the time he graduates and plans on going the Pharm D route. Definitely has his head on straight.

So you lock up a spot in a PA program directly out of high school?? How many college freshman know for sure they want to be a PA? Programs like these don't seem to value life experience or maturity. Maybe I'm just thinking of myself as an 18 year old who definitely wasn't mature or I'm just grumpy that I'm disqualified from applying to these programs.

There are 150+ other programs to choose from.

Some of these programs will allow some college credit (like 1-16 credits), some accept none. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect they allow some college credits because a lot of (advanced) high school students these days attend community college their senior year and graduate with college credit. This is their way of allowing some college credit.

At the 6-7 schools my daughter investigated when looking at schools (all in the NE), none of them would accept someone transferring with an AA degree. Maybe there are some out there? They seem to want their students to go through their entire undergrad with them so as to prepare them the way they want for the PA part of their education -- including the type of HCE and certifications required as an undergrad. It's very scripted with little wiggle room for these students -- letting in someone with an AA degree would seem to throw a wrench in their system (not to mention not being able to charge you for more tuition!).

If you already have an AA degree or or close to getting one, you might be a better candidate for the "traditional" PA school route.

Some of these programs will allow some college credit (like 1-16 credits), some accept none. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect they allow some college credits because a lot of (advanced) high school students these days attend community college their senior year and graduate with college credit. This is their way of allowing some college credit.

At the 6-7 schools my daughter investigated when looking at schools (all in the NE), none of them would accept someone transferring with an AA degree. Maybe there are some out there? They seem to want their students to go through their entire undergrad with them so as to prepare them the way they want for the PA part of their education -- including the type of HCE and certifications required as an undergrad. It's very scripted with little wiggle room for these students -- letting in someone with an AA degree would seem to throw a wrench in their system (not to mention not being able to charge you for more tuition!).

If you already have an AA degree or or close to getting one, you might be a better candidate for the "traditional" PA school route.

What school is your daughter attending? All the of the schools I am looking at in the NE as well, and you are right a lot do not accept transfer students. My plan thus far has been to contact individual combined degree programs and firstly see if they accept transfers and secondly see if they are willing to do an evaluation of the credits I have taken so far to potentially see where I would be placed in their combined degree program...so far so good, it's just tedious.

I figure if I could shorten the amount of schooling by transferring and potentially securing a seat in PA program why not give a shot? Instead of going the traditional route which includes declaring a major, doing well in that major, taking the GRE...doing well on the GRE...you catch my drift . This is more "a shot in the dark" more than anything, so we'll see I guess.

I completed a practical nursing program and my high school curriculum simultaneously and have over 1800 hrs of HCE experience and have a 3.6 GPA along with shadowing an MD and PA(working on shadowing more PA's). I start volunteering as a mentor in a week and a server a local homeless coalition. And I believe I have some strong LOR's too. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My daughter is at Philadelphia Univ. It just seems you are limiting yourself to a handful of potential schools by trying to transfer with an AA. But, you're right, if you can get in a 3+2 program it's definately the way to go: you get your BS in 3 years and a guaranteed seat in the PA school. Can't hurt to try...if you can't transfer you can always fall back on the traditional route.

Archived