Could I be a PA candidate?

Hello everyone, my name in Ken from GA. The main school I'm looking at applying to is South University in Savannah, GA. Their minimums are 2.8 overall GPA, 3.0 GPA science, and 50th percentile GRE (around 1000 and above). I'm sure their students have much higher grades/scores though. I have been an LPN for over 7 years. I have a BBA and an MBA in business management. I made some bad grades when I first started college, but have slowly improved. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 2.6

Graduate GPA: 3.3

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

GRE score (old style): 1100

LPN GPA: 2.7 (not sure if they will count this from a tech school. Also, this was before they changed to a minimum grade of 80 instead of 75)

Hours worked as an LPN: Over 10,000

These are the pre-reqs I have taken (made all A's):

A&P 1 & 2

Biology 1 & 2

Chemistry 1 & 2

Immunology

Mircrobiology

Organic Chemistry

So what do you guys think? Will any schools consider me?

Thanks for the reply. I've taken all the science courses they require, but I'm just starting cell biology anyways and may take OrgChem 2 in the spring, although neither are required (but I've read they like those courses). South Univ starts their program each January, so I would be applying for January 2014. Been checking out a few schools in FL as well. I mainly did the MBA to raise my GPA and prove that I could do grad work.

Btw, the pre-reqs I have taken over the last year or so are at a different university than my undergrad degree, otherwise I would have a higher GPA than 2.6 there. So I think that's helpful as well.

Any recommendations on additional courses to take?

Sounds good. I already took psych during undergrad, and taking cell biology now (just started). It can't take pharmacology or patho at the university level here unless I'm in the BSN program. I actually did want to take genetics or even a virology course, but they don't offer that here. I have a buddy who is in med school and he suggested I take biochem to help me out, so I may take that with OrgChem 2 in the spring. I'm not great at science, I just studied like crazy and the school I go to isn't that tough I guess. What was the school out west you were referring to that might interview me?

Btw, the pre-reqs I have taken over the last year or so are at a different university than my undergrad degree, otherwise I would have a higher GPA than 2.6 there. So I think that's helpful as well.

It doesn't matter how many schools you attended. All undergrad coursework(including post-bacc) is calculated into your GPA. My biggest suggestion to you would be to not put all your eggs in one basket. Applying to a single school with your GPA is just giving yourself a poor shot.

It doesn't matter how many schools you attended. All undergrad coursework(including post-bacc) is calculated into your GPA. My biggest suggestion to you would be to not put all your eggs in one basket. Applying to a single school with your GPA is just giving yourself a poor shot.

Yep. I meant it will be a little higher than 2.6 once everything is factored in. Since my undergrad GPA is horrible, I will definitely be applying to several schools, just the one I listed is my preference based on location.

• 2 weeks later...

CASPA will lump all your grades together and give you an overall score (GPA). I had a similar situation where my undergrad was lower than my graduate and pre-req work. It shows maturity that your grades improved as you aged and got more serious and interested in the coursework you were taking. I had a 3.0 undergrad 3.98 grad and 3.7 something-ish (if thats a word haha) in my science pre reqs. Good luck! I also agree that applying to more than one school is wise. I read that anywhere between 4-9 is a good number any less it seems cocky and more it seems desperate. Well wishes to you!!

Archived