PA vs ABSN (later NP, CRNA etc)

I know there are a few older posts but wanted to see who out there is also debating between PA and starting an ABSN program. For years I worked toward PA, excelled in some classes and PCE hours (8k) but after being waitlisted and multiples rejections, this year I decided to move forward with an ABSN program. I've worked a lot with nurses and physicians (and PAs, NPs) and honestly love a little about every profession. This was not my first cycle applying and I've done quite a bit of interviews that I am exhausted, and realize I need a break or something to get my career going.  I applied to 1 ABSN program along with 15+ PA programs to find out I am only waitlisted and accepted to that ABSN program. After debating it and getting advice from many people, I decided to move forward with the ABSN and start this summer. Quick turn around ! Next year I'll have my BSN already and the tuition was cheap I couldn't complain or imagine regretting it. Thinking of being 200k in debt  (120k tuition plus cost of living etc for 2.5 years) just made my gut choose otherwise.

Any one else going through something similar? The decision was difficult, I would love to hear from others their experience and/or advice. Maybe someone went down this path years ago and has good insight.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Edited by 08262020
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Where are you now process wise?

I did this same exact thing during the 2016-2017 cycle. I applied to 9 PA programs, interviewed by 2, rejected by 2, but another school offered an "alternative" interview to one of their ABSN program without interviewing me for their PA cohort (apparently wasn't good enough for their PA program lol). I called my mom and had her guide me because I was going to turn it down (acting on emotions) and try again 2017-2018.

Glad I listened to her because I graduated 12 months later with my BSN and went into emergency nursing. I pretty much got my BSN for 25K because the school provided a 20K tuition scholarship. Whew... what a steep learning curve and I am so happy I was given the privilege to work with some awesome nurses, physicians, PAs/NPs, and techs of all levels. These patients are beyond sick and it only made me a better clinician comparing to when I worked as an urgent care MA.

After 4 years, I've decided to transition into the ICU and then hopefully go to CRNA school. I was in an ENP program but called it quits after 2 semesters. That's for another post.

Edited by Diggy

I am debating on just going for Nursing. I've tried to get into PA school but my chances are dwindling and my motivation is fading. I've been turned down by so many schools that I've waisted almost 2yrs of trying and I could've finished nursing school. I really don't want to go to nursing school and spend more than a year and a half because I still would like to go to PA instead of NP. I'm not young (53yrs old) so my time is going by pretty fast and I would like to be more than just an EMT in the emergency department where I live. I'll continue to try but I will consider nursing school and hope to get in by the Spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 5:06 PM, 08262020 said:

I know there are a few older posts but wanted to see who out there is also debating between PA and starting an ABSN program. For years I worked toward PA, excelled in some classes and PCE hours (8k) but after being waitlisted and multiples rejections, this year I decided to move forward with an ABSN program. I've worked a lot with nurses and physicians (and PAs, NPs) and honestly love a little about every profession. This was not my first cycle applying and I've done quite a bit of interviews that I am exhausted, and realize I need a break or something to get my career going.  I applied to 1 ABSN program along with 15+ PA programs to find out I am only waitlisted and accepted to that ABSN program. After debating it and getting advice from many people, I decided to move forward with the ABSN and start this summer. Quick turn around ! Next year I'll have my BSN already and the tuition was cheap I couldn't complain or imagine regretting it. Thinking of being 200k in debt  (120k tuition plus cost of living etc for 2.5 years) just made my gut choose otherwise.

Any one else going through something similar? The decision was difficult, I would love to hear from others their experience and/or advice. Maybe someone went down this path years ago and has good insight.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi! Congrats on admission. I am interested in the an ABSN program and was wondering what your stats were when you applied? Thank you!