Salaried Employee... No Contract/Employment Agreement?

I have been out of PA school x3 years. All of my PA friends, content taught in PA school, my current position (x2.5yrs) prepared me to believe that all salaried PA positions would have an employment agreement/contract

2 weeks ago, I received an offer letter for a position with one of the largest employers in western PA. I verbally accepted the salaried position. They said they'd get the "portal" to me ASAP. When they asked for a start date, I mentioned I would need to give my current employer (in another state) # days notice, but wouldn't do this until I had signed the paperwork. He put down a date # days from THEN, but said it could be bumped if needed.  I assumed the "portal" that was to come within the next few days and would contain an official contract. 

HR has been backed up and still hasn't gotten the "portal" to me. It was only TODAY, when speaking with the office manager, that I realized this company does NOT do official contracts or employment agreements for the majority of its employed PAs (and it employs MANY). 

I still have received NO information on malpractice insurance, non-competes, conflict of interest, contingencies for termination, etc. Because of this, I feel as if my employment is NOT set in stone (even though I have a signed offer letter of which I accepted verbally) and do not feel comfortable placing my notice at my current job just yet.

I think it reasonable to wait until I have that information before I give my # days notice, but have no broader perspective-- Is it commonplace for PAs to place their notice at their current job with only a signed offer letter from a new position?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

I find it odd, as every job I've had, except for a 1 site urgent care where I worked PRN, had some documentation on benefits, med-mal coverage, etc.  That's not the same as an employment contract, which I've had for all of my EM employers, ranging from 2 of the large national staffing companies, 2 smaller regional companies, and 2 small companies.

However, I worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in IT, and never had an employment contract.  But, there were definitely documents which listed all the details about benefits.  The offer letter only included details on compensation, work location, etc and referenced the HR documents which the benefits.

Perhaps HR could send you the employee manual or other things like this that they should have for everyone which would list benefits, conflicts of interest, conditions of employment, etc.

Not having a contract is common in at will states, neither of my jobs in California I've had a contract, only an offer letter I signed. One offer letter basically just had my hourly pay on it. However the benefits are standard and HR should absolutely give you a tentative start date pending credentialing. 

Agree with the above; it's not uncommon nor a "red flag" for a company to not have an employment contract. I would suggest this: in addition to the offer letter, you should review their employee handbook which should lay out several types of benefit options as well as some disciplinary/termination policies. You should also find some references to performance reviews and possibly raise expectations. Many things you'd find in an employment contract should be found in the offer letter combined with the employee handbook. You may even find information regarding malpractice coverage and some other lingering questions you have. But, I wouldn't avoid a job just because they don't have a contract with me.