Personal Statement/ All criticism welcome

Being a Navy Corpsman has afforded me the opportunity to serve my country as well as be a part of a large and dynamic health care team. The core values that I learned in the military as well as the struggles growing up have motivated me to work hard and never give up, under any circumstance.

Working in the healthcare field for nearly the past ten years has allowed me to gain some of the most rewarding life experiences I have yet to know. Rewarding military experiences which includes helping injured marines and caring for young underprivileged children in communities ravaged by natural disasters. Compassion and dedication to service of our country and patients is something that I have learned from some of the military’s top notch providers who care for our wounded warriors. Currently, my position as an Anesthesia Technician working in the operating room at Brooke Army Medical Center side by side with great PA’s and physicians has motivated me to emulate the path they have made for people like me.

There is a great amount of responsibility being a Navy Corpsman. Going through Corpsman school we were made aware of the greatness those who went before us accomplished. From Medal of Honor recipients and the most decorated rate in the Navy to trailblazers such as the first three graduates of Dr. Stead’s PA program in 1967. If given this opportunity to fulfill my desire to become a Physician Assistant, I will not disappoint or give reason for regret because I do not know how to quit.

Mr. Carlos Segura, who is a Cardiothoracic Physician Assistant at Brooke Army Medical Center, has been my mentor for the past several years and allowed me to shadow observe how PA’s are changing the landscape of surgery and medicine across the world. I am so indebted to him because of his love and devotion to his job. I try to emulate him because he has been a PA for a long time and due to his ethnicity, being a Mexican-American it has not always been an easy road for him. In spite of all his barriers he has overcome. His will has emboldened me, a young Latino from the Westside of San Antonio’s ghetto.

Growing up on the Westside of San Antonio, in one of the worst poverty-stricken neighborhoods, I was able to witness firsthand the absolute need for more health care providers within San Antonio’s inner city. I come from a single mother with eight children, and have experienced abject poverty. We used to be homeless, living in the back of a broken down impala and the defiled quarters of the SAMM shelter, until we moved into the barrio. Fortunately for me and my siblings we had access to health care, but for my mother that was not the case. Unable to acquire health care, her health deteriorated quickly by working three jobs trying to make ends meet. I am motivated by the idea that if more healthcare providers from San Antonio come back and work in these low income areas, we can prevent a lot of illnesses that plague poverty stricken areas of our city.

These experiences have molded me into who I am today. I absolutely love being a Corpsman as well as an Anesthesia technician, yet I understand that I am limited and narrowed in scope of practice in these positions. The possibility of the opportunity to become part of a skillful organization such as a PA, motivates me to become part of your celebrated profession.

Personally, I think it sounds perfect...if I were on a search committee, this one would be very impressive. Try to stay away from the "I want world peace and am determined to help everyone" stuff we always read and roll our eyes at.

At the end you might say "The possibility of the opportunity to become part of a skillful organization such as a PA, motivates me to become part of this dynamic and important profession. or this celebrated... (rather than your).

Also you might mention that having worked in medicine you are aware of the demands of the medical profession and are very aware of the politics of medicine. You know that this is the direction that you want to take your life in and you are ready to devote your energies to achieving that end. (or something like that)

Even if you didn't change those things...this seems to come from your heart which is most important when writing one of these letters. Make it unique and meaningful, which is what you have done here.

Good luck...where are you applying? Hint...apply to several. Have you thought about Duke?

Thank you Mr. Hollingsworth,

I am applying to UT Health Science Center San Antonio. I would love to apply to Duke but I don't think the relocation is feasible with my 3 kids and wife working down here. I used to live in Camp Lejeune when I was stationed there and I absolutely loved it. I will definetely try to convince my wife to get out there some day.

Thank You,

Thomas Espinoza

Thank you Mr. Hollingsworth,<BR><BR>I am applying to UT Health Science Center San Antonio. I would love to apply to Duke but I don't think the relocation is feasible with my 3 kids and wife working down here. I used to live in Camp Lejeune when I was stationed there and I absolutely loved it. I will definetely try to convince my wife to get out there some day.<BR><BR>Thank You,<BR>Thomas Espinoza

• 2 weeks later...

Archived