When to apply for jobs?

• 2 months later...

I'm interested if anyone else has something to add here. The offers I've received from rotations are really "soft" offers - "hey, apply here and we'll hire you, here's my phone number." If I won't be available to work for another 7 months, it feels a little odd to be applying for things now since so much can change in that time. But then, I've never applied for a position at this level before...

Obviously that offer was in a field you enjoyed and was good enough for you to go for it.

I think my discomfort with this stems from my desire to see the rest of my rotations through without any prior commitment. I have really enjoyed three of the four rotations I've done so far (and the other one, I still liked just wouldn't want to be in every day) and I worry about taking something now and then finding a niche in another area. I don't know the rules about that... certainly at the very least I would be in a terrible moral and ethical dilemma, trying to squirm out of a contract.

I suppose it's a bit easier if you know exactly what you want to do.

• Administrator

If you're interesting in keeping your options open, be real up front and candid:

"Well, I haven't seen everything yet, but this practice is definitely somewhere I can see myself working. Can I keep in touch as my rotations progress, to see if my interests and your needs are still matching up?"

Archived