EM New Grad Position - Expensive Health Insurance

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see if there was anything I wasn't thinking of in regards to covering my family with health insurance. My offer is, otherwise, very generous in my opinion. It's in the location and specialty I want (EM). I am a new graduate.

• $75/hr + $5 per patient incentive
  • 10 shifts minimum for FTE benefits, will likely work 12 or more. 12 hour shifts.
  • $2500 CME/business expense account
  • Life insurance covered

However, health insurance seems insanely expensive to also cover my family. High deductible CDHP w/ HSA is $1,029/monthly. Low deductible CDHP w/ HSA is $1,211/monthly. PPO is $1,446/monthly.

I have ulcerative colitis so I do not think the high deductible plan is wise for me. We were really looking at my wife not working, but I also wasn't expecting extraordinarily expensive benefits. Dental is even $174/mo for the family.

Other than healthcare.gov, the only other option we see is to have her work at least part-time and get benefits that way - because covering myself alone is only $74/mo. I assume she can do much better for herself and our kid working at a large hospital, rather than being covered by my EM group.

What's the retirement and PTO like?

My old job had super high premiums for family coverage as well, luckily I covered only myself for cheap and my wife covered herself and the kids through her employer and it worked out.

Regarding the deductible and ulceratice colitis, it may actually be beneficial for you to do high deductible if you are on a biologic medication. The copay assistance through those companies will cover your deductible, and you get the benefit of paying lower premiums and access to HSA saving taxes. The trick is not to use your insurance otherwise from Jan 1st until your first injection.

3 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

What's the retirement and PTO like?

My old job had super high premiums for family coverage as well, luckily I covered only myself for cheap and my wife covered herself and the kids through her employer and it worked out.

Regarding the deductible and ulceratice colitis, it may actually be beneficial for you to do high deductible if you are on a biologic medication. The copay assistance through those companies will cover your deductible, and you get the benefit of paying lower premiums and access to HSA saving taxes. The trick is not to use your insurance otherwise from Jan 1st until your first injection.

100% match up to 3%, then 50% match up to 5%. No PTO. Expectation is 10 shifts/month with picking up more if wanted/needed.

It's a good gig from what I can tell; everyone has been there for 5 years plus according to the lead and he still seems to enjoy his job. This vacancy was a planned vacancy. New hires start in fast track and take on higher acuity as they feel comfortable (he expects me to see 1 per hour at this point). All patients are staffed with a doc, so for 4/5's it's as simple as "hey I'm doc ___, Staub's taking good care of you" and more collaboration the higher the acuity.

Re: UC, I'm on mesalamine still and things are going well. Nowhere near biologics yet (knock on wood). Mesalamine is still ridiculously expensive, so 2 months of it would meet my deductible. Thanks for the tip though on biologics that's smart.

Edited by Staubsauger

On 1/8/2022 at 6:35 AM, ventana said:

This is becoming more of a norm. 
actually trying to join USPHS ready reserves as you can buy into tricare select. 

yup small company are screwing their employees.  

single payer …….

AFAIK I'm disqualified from USPHS because of UC, but I really wanted to join. We are going to look into PRN work for my wife to free up some money so things don't feel so tight, but this quickly shot down our dream of 1 income and her staying home after supporting me through school.