Offer Floor/Clinic Thoracic Surgery

Hello Sheryl,

I think the offer is great with the best part being trained 6-12 months. They understand you are new/fresh out of school so they will teach and supervise you so you won't be alone. I feel exactly the way you feel bc I also got intimated with my offer for hospitalist PA (I'm new grad also). I thought can I really do this? Well, we will see once we start. You will learn clinic & hospital medicine, try it for 1 yr, then if you decide to venture out elsewhere, your 1 yr in hospital setting will make you more marketable. Show your interest, ask questions, look up stuff a lot. Wish you good luck.

Hello Sheryl,

I think the offer is great with the best part being trained 6-12 months. They understand you are new/fresh out of school so they will teach and supervise you so you won't be alone. I feel exactly the way you feel bc I also got intimated with my offer for hospitalist PA (I'm new grad also). I thought can I really do this? Well, we will see once we start. You will learn clinic & hospital medicine, try it for 1 yr, then if you decide to venture out elsewhere, your 1 yr in hospital setting will make you more marketable. Show your interest, ask questions, look up stuff a lot. Wish you good luck.

So it looks like we're in the same boat. :) It is a little scary when you think about how far we've come in 2 years! I never thought I'd take a job in thoracic surgery...and one where everyone, including the surgeons, are so nice and professional. I will definitely take your advice and show interest, take initiative, etc. This is a real hands-on position from what a friend tells me who is actually working on the floor. I like that. I was thinking I might get a little bored with clinic alone, so it will be nice to have some variety. The floor is much more stressful, according to the lead PA. These pts have very complicated procedures with high risks of complications, so I guess there is never a dull moment. That is what scares me, too! But it will be a great learning experience, and as you mentioned, the training is where it's at. :) I also like your input that I would be more marketable with hospital medicine also. Great point.

Good luck on your journey in hospital medicine. It's a big leap to go from being a student to a PA! :)

I agree - I'm a new grad and think that sounds pretty good, especially the salary and retirement plan (I would personally want to be in the OR some, but I really like surgery...)

Sounds like it would be a good intro to hospital medicine...you'll definitely become very proficient with managing chest tubes.

I work in cardiothoracic and for a new grad that is exceptional. The retirement package is better then mine. 10% of your salary into retirement by them is awesome. My hospital puts in 0%. I would jump on that. Just curious what state are you located in.

I live in Michigan. I guess we haven't yet been overcome by saturation in the market. Not sure where you are, but it seems like I hear a lot of people talking about lower pay/benefits in areas where there are a lot of PAs. Don't get me wrong; we have 5 schools here (apparently another one on the way from what I've heard, which would make 3 in the metro Detroit area alone). But I do think this seems great. Everyone I had talked to says jump on it also. I never expected such good pay/benefits out of school. And the lead PA tells me that the floor is very intense. So that's what scares me.

Archived