EM Dilemma

I have a potential EM opportunity with a CMG when I graduate shortly, but there are some concerns along with it. Several of the APPs have left or will be leaving in the near-future, and with this shop being smaller in size I worry about not having enough established APPs to lean on when needed as a new grad.

I've also applied to a residency near my school, and they say it can take up to a few months from the application deadline date to contact you if they'll offer an interview. I'm coming towards the tail-end of that timeframe, and don't know if the fact I haven't been contacted yet means that more than likely I am not being considered for a position.

I was angling for an EM job with another CMG back in my home area, but from what I understand the earliest they'd be able to offer a position is late summer - early fall of 2022 (if at all). From what my significant other found out, it was suggested that I look for UC jobs while waiting for that position to materialize, unless this group was able to fit me in earlier through some undefined means. However, I've had several preceptors tell me that UC jobs can sometimes be a death knell because you don't maintain certain skillsets in that specialty.

TL;DR: How do I determine which path offers the best choice based on the overall situation with each? The market is tough for new grads, and I came into school wanting to solely do EM. However, without any definitive offers and including the above-listed caveats, I don't know which option is the best.

The bird in the hand: take the EM job.  You won't learn as much as at a residency, and how much you'll learn will depend upon what acuity comes in to your ED and whether the experienced providers, whether docs or PAs will help you teach.  However, you'll definitely learn more than at a residency that doesn't accept you.  Contact the residency and see where you stand.  If you are accepted, go ahead and take it and leave the job.  You'll be so attractive of a candidate after completing the residency that having left a job quickly won't matter.  But, there are many applicants for every residency slot, so getting accepted is not guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another option: take the job and reapply for the next residency class. If you don't get in, you already have a job. If you do, you have a year of experience under your belt.

Residency is a much better learning experience than most jobs, but as above, being unemployed gets you no experience.