Opinion on location of specific pre-reqs

I began taking the necessary pre-req classes this past Spring semester and have decided to take half at my local CC and the other half at a nearby 4 year university. My situation is such that I am attempting to improve my GPA while taking the pre-reqs and also plan on taking several upper level courses to prove my academic ability.

So far I have completed Bio I (4 year), A&P I (CC), Gen Psych (CC), and EMT class (CC) all with A's. My question is if anyone thinks there are specific classes that should be taken at the 4 year as opposed to the CC? My original plan was to take Gen Bio, Gen Chem, Organic, and upper level classes at 4 year but I am starting to lean towards doing more at the CC and just taking upper level classes like Genetics, Biochemistry, etc. at the university. Also, I took several chemistry classes during underground earning B's and C's but did not take any bio classes. The reason for wanting to take classes at CC is financial but I want to give myself the best opportunity for acceptance. I have contacted several of the programs that I will eventually be applying to and all stated that they do not care where you take the prereqs.

Thanks in advance.

Often times you will read and hear that the Admissions Committee members don't particularly pay attention to which school the applicant attended to fulfill their prerequisites, but rather just that they are completed. In my own experiences, I have noticed a lot of crucial information gets skipped over at community colleges. I think your current plan to take the 100 and 200 level classes at a community college for financial reasons and moving on to a 4 year university to take some of the 300 and 400 level biology and health science classes is exactly how I would have gone about fulfilling my prerequisites. I especially recommend a 300 or 400 level pathophysiology class and a pharmacology class, even if they aren't prerequisites for your intended schools. If it holds any weight for you, I have heard back favorably from each of my top schools of choice. Best of luck to you!

I got my AA at a CC and BS at a 4 year. Interviewed at my top pick and just graduated from it. Just make sure that all of your CC grades are A's.

Often times you will read and hear that the Admissions Committee members don't particularly pay attention to which school the applicant attended to fulfill their prerequisites, but rather just that they are completed. In my own experiences, I have noticed a lot of crucial information gets skipped over at community colleges. I think your current plan to take the 100 and 200 level classes at a community college for financial reasons and moving on to a 4 year university to take some of the 300 and 400 level biology and health science classes is exactly how I would have gone about fulfilling my prerequisites. I especially recommend a 300 or 400 level pathophysiology class and a pharmacology class, even if they aren't prerequisites for your intended schools. If it holds any weight for you, I have heard back favorably from each of my top schools of choice. Best of luck to you!

In my own experiences, I have noticed a lot of crucial information gets skipped over at community colleges.

THIS! There is nothing wrong with CC classes but make sure they have a quality teacher with a quality curriculum(ratemyprof reviews will usually be rants about how hard the class is). I took A&P at a CC and it was seriously subpar. I did well in anatomy this summer but it would have been a lot quicker to learn and have required less work if I had been better prepared from undergrad.

Wutthechris,

That is exactly what I was referencing haha! I took an A&P class for all of 2 weeks at a CC before I compared my syllabus to a coworker who was taking the course at a 4 year university. Entire sections were omitted at the CC, and it was very much a watered down course. I ended up just switching to a 4 year university after only a semester at the CC because I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot by excelling at classes that surely others must know may not even compare to those of a 4 year degree.

Thanks for the responses. At this point I am only concerned with how the classes will be viewed by admissions committee members. I would love to take all of the classes at a 4 year university but it is really hard for me to justify the drastic difference in cost. Hopefully everything works out as planned.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. At this point I am only concerned with how the classes will be viewed by admissions committee members. I would love to take all of the classes at a 4 year university but it is really hard for me to justify the drastic difference in cost. Hopefully everything works out as planned.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

It varies from school to school but most accept CC courses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

One or two of the schools I e-mailed mentioned they prefer applicants with 4-year experience over applicants with all or some CC. They were "higher-end" schools and stated that they preferred 4-year academic experience and not required. In the long run though, I don't think it makes much of a difference. The complete portfolio is what distinguishes an applicant: grades, health care experience, GRE/MCAT, interview, essay, etc. Just make sure every science is B+ and up at both CC/4-year.

Archived