MA state license was put on probation - What will the NCCPA do?

Hello everyone,

My MA state Physician Assistant state license was put on probation x 2 years for conduct in 2019 related to controlled substances. It was poor judgement on my part due to opioid addiction.

Fortunately, I've been clean for over 2 years, attend NA regularly and have been in outpatient drug treatment for the past two years. I took these measures on my own accord so I've already been doing what the board is requiring of me while on probation. Furthermore, I have been gainfully employed as a practicing Physician Assistant since the incident that occurred in 2019 by a company who is aware of my conduct and has been nothing short of amazing. It's also worth mentioning that I have a great attorney.

Needless to say, though the Massachusetts board did not require that I self report to the various regulatory bodies, I informed the NCCPA of my situation and current standing with the board.

Is anyone aware of the NCCPA revoking a person's board certificate upon learning that their state license has been put on probation? Allegations of drug diversion for personal use is a serious matter in my eyes.

Upon reading the various blog comments, I know there are many astute and knowledgeable folks on here. Thank you for your help in advance.

9 hours ago, Cmd2021 said:

Is anyone aware of the NCCPA revoking a person's board certificate upon learning that their state license has been put on probation?

I am not, and honestly would be highly surprised.  In my experience the NCCPA generally relies on the state boards to do their due diligence.

9 hours ago, Cmd2021 said:

Allegations of drug diversion for personal use is a serious matter in my eyes.

Absolutely a true statement, and good on you for recognizing it.  From what you have said, you have done everything right after your transgression.  Continue to do things right and I wouldn't expect any issues with licensing and certification moving forward.

I'm glad you have things turned around. Congrats on pulling out of a tailspin!

The NCCPA is a testing and certification organization. Their only business should be have you paid your money and taken your test and passed.

That said they are pretty opaque. I have heard over the years of them looking into conduct issues but that was a long time ago and it was barely more than a rumor. I just remember thinking it was none their business.

How long ago did you report it to them? If it has been a while and you haven't heard anything then you are probably just fine. Even if they contact you, you have already done everything right and gotten strait with the board. It would be a pretty big power trip to stomp all over that.

• Upvote 1