Anyone else have several withdrawals in undergrad that demolishes their CASPA GPA?

Ill be honest and say I was a complete lazy slacker during undergrad with no direction in life. I have an absolutely dismal GPA along with 4 withdrawals and 3 Fs on my transcript. After graduating with my bachelors I went on to become a firefighter/paramedic and developed a strong interest in the medical side. I have thought of becoming a PA but after learning about how CASPA calculates GPA I think its just hopeless to get my grades up to par. Even after getting 8 As in a row Post-Bacc my CASPA GPA if I am calculating it correctly is only a 2.6 or so! Non-CASPA GPA not counting those 4 withdrawals and taking into a account the grade replacement I got in one F is around a 2.8 or so.

Is my only hope a Non-CASPA Program? How many are there actually out there? Anyone else battling several withdrawals?

I can get into a 1 year nursing transition program so it looks like if I want to work in a hospital my only path will be as a nurse and eventually an NP. Damn you CASPA!

• 1 month later...

I'm going through the exact same thing you are. For various reasons over a decade ago I didn't do well in a number of my science courses. However, during the last three years I earned a 2nd BS degree with a 3.5 gpa and re-took the science pre-reqs with straight A's. Essentially, CASPA compiles and averages everything, so if I got a D 12 years ago in Microbiology and took it 4 months ago and got an A, as I did, I now have a C for Micro (given it was repeated). Either way, before colleges even look at what I've accomplished over the last three years, including over a thousand hours of shadowing and clinical experience, my application will likely be disregarded solely due to my CASPA GPA. I'm beyond disgusted!

• 1 month later...

Some schools will only count CASPAs calculated GPA, or your universities calculated GPA, or average the GPA of your pre-requisite courses. It just depends on which school. A lot of schools say that although they consider the grades from your whole academic transcript, they also look at the trend within the last 2-3 years. I would make sure to address any Ws or Fs on your personal statement, supplemental application essays, and be prepared to have an answer if you get an interview. Personally, I have 3 Ws from years ago and a low cumulative GPA (3.0). If I do not get in this round, I will do everything I can to get in the next year, whether it's retaking science classes or gaining more healthcare experience. I think it's important to show the admissions committee you are truly passionate and committed about becoming a PA.. not just giving up and falling back to option #2.

Archived