A Funny Patient Encounter

I thought that this patient encounter yesterday was a little amusing so I thought I would share it.

Setting: New headache patient assessment. The patient was a spunky 40 year old lady I will call Kate. She was with her big burley, quiet husband, Jack. I had just spent 30 minutes going over her headache story and was then going over her PMHx.

PA: "I see here that you have had seizures in the past. What was that all about . . . I mean did they find a cause?"

Kate: "Well, I never had them before my husband shot me in the head in 2000" (pointing at a small round scar between her eyes).

PA: "Shot you in the head! Good grief . . . you never mentioned that! I mean that could be even be related to your headaches. (Looking over at the big quiet man) Was it an accident?"

Kate: She paused, looked at her husband and said, “I don’t think it was an accident. I mean, he grabbed me by the head, put the barrel up to my forehead and shouted DIE B-T-H, and then he pulled the trigger.”

I had a look of shock on my face as we sat in silence for a minute. Kate then padded her husband on the knee and smiled . . . “Oh this is husband number two . . . husband number one was the one that shot me.”

PA: "Oh. Well, that shot was right into your frontal lobe of your brain. Besides the seizures did you have any other effects? I mean, did it like affect your thinking or your behavior?"

Kate: (Smiling and looking like she was contemplating) “Yeah. It affected my thinking . . . it pissed me off! And it affected my behavior . . . Yeah, I filed for a divorce.”

Mike

“I don’t think it was an accident. I mean, he grabbed me by the head, put the barrel up to my forehead and shouted DIE B-T-H, and then he pulled the trigger.”

:D

It's incredible how some people bounce back and others need counseling because someone rolled their eyes at them.

Wow, I am in the process of filing for a divorce (after 14-1/2 yrs. of marriage, hubby ran off with his first girlfriend in his midlife crisis). That alone has caused great emotional issues for me, and this woman can laugh about being shot in the head? I'd have killed myself. LOL!

I'd have been one of those people requiring a great deal of counseling, sensitive soul that I am.

You've had a tough year . . . bad job . . . bad marriage etc. It can only get better from this point on. About fifteen years ago I was about suicidal (I know that you bring that up as tongue and cheek but I am talking more seriously now). At that time, I would never have believed that life could get as good as it did. Hang in there, there are a lot of good things ahead.

What's new on the job front?

Mike

• 5 years later...
I thought that this patient encounter yesterday was a little amusing so I thought I would share it.

Setting: New headache patient assessment. The patient was a spunky 40 year old lady I will call Kate. She was with her big burley, quiet husband, Jack. I had just spent 30 minutes going over her headache story and was then going over her PMHx.

PA: "I see here that you have had seizures in the past. What was that all about . . . I mean did they find a cause?"

Kate: "Well, I never had them before my husband shot me in the head in 2000" (pointing at a small round scar between her eyes).

PA: "Shot you in the head! Good grief . . . you never mentioned that! I mean that could be even be related to your headaches. (Looking over at the big quiet man) Was it an accident?"

Kate: She paused, looked at her husband and said, “I don’t think it was an accident. I mean, he grabbed me by the head, put the barrel up to my forehead and shouted DIE B-T-H, and then he pulled the trigger.”

I had a look of shock on my face as we sat in silence for a minute. Kate then padded her husband on the knee and smiled . . . “Oh this is husband number two . . . husband number one was the one that shot me.”

PA: "Oh. Well, that shot was right into your frontal lobe of your brain. Besides the seizures did you have any other effects? I mean, did it like affect your thinking or your behavior?"

Kate: (Smiling and looking like she was contemplating) “Yeah. It affected my thinking . . . it pissed me off! And it affected my behavior . . . Yeah, I filed for a divorce.”

Mike

Jeez - good man for keepin' calm - I'd have been a vapor at the words "husband shot me".

I find this so typical of many patients. Not the gun shot, but the lack of connection they make between relevant history information they somehow fail to provide, and the manifold extraneous information they do provide. There is a fine line between letting them know that their dog's unusual flatulence has nothing to do with their diplopia, and insulting them by cutting off their theory.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived