University of Detroit Mercy 2021-2022 (Early Admission)

I am still waiting for my email too, I asked how they choose 2 or 3 year program during my interview and they said that they first use whatever preference you indicated on your application and try to accommodate all requests, then overall competitiveness of the application to make further decisions. The most competitive applicants will get into the two year, the next most competitive get into the three year, and then a few on the wait list.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who was accepted into the two year can easily switch to the three, but it may be more difficult to do it the other way around because you have to depend on two year people wanting to switch.

This is how they explained it to me, maybe I am not 100% on how it works but this is a pretty good overview!

2 minutes ago, pamaster5656 said:

I am still waiting for my email too, I asked how they choose 2 or 3 year program during my interview and they said that they first use whatever preference you indicated on your application and try to accommodate all requests, then overall competitiveness of the application to make further decisions. The most competitive applicants will get into the two year, the next most competitive get into the three year, and then a few on the wait list.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who was accepted into the two year can easily switch to the three, but it may be more difficult to do it the other way around because you have to depend on two year people wanting to switch.

This is how they explained it to me, maybe I am not 100% on how it works but this is a pretty good overview!

Thanks for explaining that! It makes a lot of sense that way. If I get the two year and somebody gets the three that they don’t want, I’ll be more than happy to switch 😅

1 hour ago, PAfromDetroit said:

Hi everyone! I received an acceptance call Monday around 5pm. Congratulations guys and best of luck to those who are waiting to hear back!

@calipa93 I am also patiently waiting for the email, but I think they also might send something in the mail. Also I know a few people who attended the program and asked if they could switch to the three year program and it ended up working out! @lizaPAI’ve heard from current students there that the 2 year program is more in demand so it might be easier to switch from the 2 year to the 3 year rather than vise versa. Hope that helps! 

Yes, I’ve also heard that most people want the 2 year program so hopefully I’ll get the 3. Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, calipa93 said:

Just received my email! I was accepted into the three year track. I’m excited to meet you all😊 Does anyone want to start a Facebook group or something similar for the accepted students? This way, we can stay in contact for any questions we may have 

You're invited to my new group 'Detroit Mercy PA Class of 2025' on GroupMe. Click here to join: https://app.groupme.com/join_group/86544533/f1PKrAXT

I made a group-me for those accepted into the 3 year program if anyone wants to join!!

9 minutes ago, pastudentkatie44 said:

Kind of bummed to be accepted in the three year not the two 😕 does anyone know if they allow switching? 

From what I know, if you want the 2 year, you'll be put into a waiting list and if someone in the 2 year switches to the 3, you could fill that spot. 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:13 PM, lizaPA said:

I just received an email saying I was accepted into the 2 year program. I very much prefer the 3-year so I’m asking if I could waitlist for the 3-year while still accepting my spot in the 2-year. And congrats everyone who received acceptances today!

I just received my letter and was accepted into the 3 year program but much prefer the 2 year. Do you think they would let us switch if we emailed together? 

8 hours ago, MSUnick said:

Anyone that was accepted willing to share their stats? PCE/HCE/GRE/Volunteer/etc?

Applying for 2023 and would like to be competitive!

I gotchu, brother. 

cGPA 3.68

sGPA 3.67

Gre: 296 (I took it twice, first time was a 290) Probably my weakest point in my application. 

Hours: I worked as a CNA at multiple places: Nursing home, private duty, hospital. Had around 1600 total hours.

Volunteering: I had a good amount, most of it was from being involved in clubs during undergrad. At least 100 hrs. 

Shadowing: I shadowed 2 Pa's, and an MD. Around 120 hrs. Only 1 wrote me a LOR. 

I took a 2 year gap between graduating and applying to really help build my resume. I applied to 4 PA schools this cycle, got only 1 interview, which is the one I got accepted into. I really cut it close lol. Try NOT to do that. Try to plan ahead and make sure you have all the prerequisites as well as all tests done (even CASPer if needed) for the PA schools you want to apply to. I wish you the best and hope you achieve the goals you are striving to reach. Let me know if you have any questions, ill do my best to help. 

16 hours ago, PABAT said:

congratz all!! Interviewed on 3/4 and received my acceptance letter via email! 3 year track. i wanted the two year though lol. how are yall requesting the switch or signing up for the waitlist? Also, do you guys know when the loans come in for mercy?

Im not sure about the loan time. I know the deadline for Fafsa is in june. I was going to talk to financial aide sometime next week, ill let you know any information they tell me about loans and tuition. 

8 hours ago, MSUnick said:

Anyone that was accepted willing to share their stats? PCE/HCE/GRE/Volunteer/etc?

For sure! 

cGPA: 3.78 

sGPA: 3.72 

HCE: almost 4000 hours as a medical assistant in multiple settings. 

GRE: 315 

Try to keep your grades as high as possible, work towards getting a lot of PCE, and apply broadly and you should get some interviews/acceptances!

On 4/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, MSUnick said:

cGPA: 3.62 but the way CASPA does it 3.4

sGPA: 3.6 the way CASPA does it 3.08

patient care hours: 3,000+ as a patient care technician in surgical ICU and step down unit

GRE: 303, writing 5

shadowing hours: 100+ shadowing cardiothoracic PA, general surgical PA, hematology/oncology PA, and trauma NP

**Discretion, it’s hard for me to share my GPA because it is something sometimes I’m very down on myself for, but I do think it’s important to show others to not give up just because your stats may not be like someone else’s. I had a rough couple of semesters for personal reasons, when I retook all of my classes I got A’s or BA’s, but unfortunately with CASPA averaging any retaken classes it completely knocked my science and cumulative GPA. I did take new science classes after graduation to bump that up, and this is my second time applying but do NOT give up. I was not accepted or even invited for any interviews my first year applying, this year I had 3 interviews and the first 2 were new schools who I thought would take me before Detroit Mercy would. You will truly end up in whatever program you’re meant to be in. Don’t give up and the pay off will be so rewarding! 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, MSUnick said:

Hello, also happy to help!

Degree: Major in Biology and Minor in health psychology, cGPA: 3.78 and sGPA: 3.56 (these are CASPA calculated)

PCE: approx 2500 hours as a medical assistant

Volunteering: 572 hours working at charitable organizations

Shadowing: 80 hours shadowing PA's in different settings and a MD in the ER

GRE: 302

I also listed my non-health care related hours on my application and for most of those hours I was a manager (in a leadship position) at a restaurant and we talked about that in my interview, I think it was very useful to include.

I hope this helps and wish you the best in the future. I applied to 13 schools, only got three interviews, from there one declined me, one wait-listed me, and I was accepted here to Mercy. At times it may seem like it's impossible and you feel like giving up, but hard work will pay off eventually, just keep at it! Best of luck!!!

Edited by pamaster5656