List of Quality EMPA residency/fellowships?

Hello! I am actually a pre-PA, but I am already pretty sure I want to do a EMPA residency/fellowship. I know, I know, I need to focus on getting into PA school first, and I am hopeful that this is my year! 3rd year applicant, so I feel good about my app. But that is not what this post is for. 

I am trying to kill some time and not think about the dead time that is simply waiting to hear back from schools right now, so I have been reading a lot about EMPA post-grad education on this forum and other places. Obviously, I have never been a PA student, I have never done a rotation in my life, and I actually have no idea if EM will be right for me, but it seems like a good fit for me from what I know. 

Getting off topic again...

Just curious, I keep reading that not all EMPA post-grad programs are created equal and that one should go to a "good" program to make it worth the time and effort. My question is, what are considered the good programs? I have a list here that I have come up with based on things I have read. Could anyone give me any insight as to if I should remove/add any programs to this list? Thanks in advance! 

P.S. Any tips on preparing/becoming more competitive for residency before PA school and in PA school? One lesson I have learned during my application journey is to prepare EARLY. If I would have done that in college I might not be on my 3rd cycle applying! haha

P.P.S. Does going to a "prestigious" PA school look better in post-grad applications?

U of New Mexico

https://hsc.unm.edu/medicine/departments/emergency-medicine/education/pa-post-graduate-training/

U of Iowa

https://medicine.uiowa.edu/emergencymedicine/education/app-residency-programs

UCSF Fresno

https://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant/

Arrowhead in CA

https://www.arrowheadregional.org/education-research/physician-assistant-fellowship-programs/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant-fellowshi/

Albert Einstein in Philly

https://www.einstein.edu/education/non-physician-programs/em-physician-assistant

Syracuse, NY

https://www.upstate.edu/emergency/education/fellowships/emergencymed.php

Albany NY residency 

https://www.amc.edu/academic/gme/programs/Physician_Assistant_ED/index.cfm

Staten Island Hospital

https://statenisland-em.squarespace.com/pa-emergency-medicine-fellowship

Edited by buttercakes
Clarity

Get good grades, do elective rotations in EM, Critical Care, Ultrasound etc. Currently now try and shadow EM or ICU PA's. Learn about the profession, what PA's can do in the ER, and history of the PA residencies. See if you can get your EMT while waiting for school.

I went to a long standing PA program, far from prestigious, got good grades, prepared well and got into residency

Based on my personal experience, I do not think a prestigious PA program will make you a more competitive applicant. However, I have noticed that a lot of EM residency programs do have preferences for students who have rotated in that particular ER before, simply because a residency program is more comfortable to hire someone whom the program has known through 5-6 weeks of rotation than 1 hour of interview. In this case, going into a PA program that has affiliation with an ER that has an EM residency might be beneficial, but honestly I would not stress about it because even going into a PA program like that may not be a guarantee to rotate in that particular ER since PA programs normally have multiple sites for ER rotations. 

What you can control is getting good grades and impress your ER preceptors with your passion for EM and work ethic because your ER preceptors' recommendation letters long with your program director's letter of recommendation will definitely help you significantly in your EM residency application. 

• Upvote 1

I think the best way to make yourself more competitive for your PA school application and fellowship/residency application is by immersing yourself in EM culture prior to school. If you are not an EMT, you should become one. Get a job as a tech. If you are already an EMT, become a paramedic. 

I had pre-PA experience as an EMT and tech, but wish that I would have become a medic before school. I still think about doing the accelerated Nebraska program at some point prior to retirement so that I can more easily pursue search and rescue, adventure medicine, etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Do you think it would be advantageous to maintain paramedic certification throughout PA school in preparation for residency programs and eventually, jobs?

I was an EMT prior to PA school. I never got recertified after I got into PA school because I personally really did not need it. I put that work experience on my resume, so my employers knew that I was interested in the emergency medicine even before I went to PA school. I do not think holding a valid paramedic certification would be a plus for EM residency. I do think that having that previous experience will definitely look good on your EM residency application. Of course, you worked hard to get certified as a paramedic. If you think it would be a waste of your work not to maintain your certification, then you should get recertified. 

16 hours ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Do you think it would be advantageous to maintain paramedic certification throughout PA school in preparation for residency programs and eventually, jobs?

I can't speak to residency programs, but the only job related reason to keep your paramedic certification is if you are hoping to do something out of hospital.  In some states, like Ohio, paramedics can RSI, but PA's can't.  That said, I've kept my medic because I still volunteer with my local FD.

Good grades, electives in EM, good LORs, strong personal statement/application Q responses, and not being a dufus during the interview are all you need for an EM residency.

You do not need EMT or paramedic, prior EM work, or to have rotated through that particular ED, in my experience. You may want to shadow PAs (not docs) in the ED to make sure it is all that you imagine.

The list of programs you have is a very good list from what I know. The exceptions being Syracuse and Staten Island - i just haven't heard much about those programs. Staten Island's 2 year length is a turn off for me, personally, but if it is jammed with good experience that length of time would make you a rock star PA.

And dude, if you dont get into PA school this time around and you are still determined to be an APP (or APC or whatever other moniker you want to use) just complete an accelerated BSN program and go the NP route. No need to waste more of your life trying for PA because something is going on with your CASPA application or grades that isn't doing it for PA programs. Seriously, that is what I would do.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, TeddyRucpin said:

I just recertified for my 5th time (ten years.) I don't think it would hurt to keep it, it's 25$ every other year for national recertification. I'm hoping post residency to land a gig where I can be involved with the local EMS agency, protocols, training, hiring etc. I'd take a transfer at the end of my shift if I have coverage and if ALS is not available. I get compliments on my rapid trauma assessments and my ability to have plan A,B,C etc. Medics in my opinion deal with adversity better than anyone else on the civilian side of things. I helped with interviews for the residency class behind me, we took a medic but also turned away a medic due to personality. It helps but won't seal the deal 

• Thanks 1