New Grads & EM Question(s)

When a student rotates with your group, what are you specifically looking for that would increase their chances of being hired?

Background: I graduate this December, and have an elective rotation in EM later this year. I did well in my core EM rotation, along with PA school overall. I entered school with the intent of practicing in EM, and this hasn't changed through almost 2 years of didactics/rotations. I'm aware of the preference for experienced PAs in CMGs/SDGs, and will probably apply to > 1 fellowship program. However, my initial preference would be to get a job straight out of school (d/t additional concerns).

So, generally speaking, what are you looking for when precepting or observing students that would give them a better chance at landing a job? What areas do students seem to struggle in the most that affects their chances of getting a job?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Most EM jobs that will hire new grads have them seeing low acuity/fast track patients. I would certainly plan on applying for a fellowship.

I work in 4 ERs. 2 will never hire a new grad as they are solo coverage. The other 2 have done so in the past, but only exceptional candidates with extensive prior EM experience before PA school (ER nurses, Paramedics, etc). 

Aside from the above, the same things apply that would help land any job: eager to learn, polite, on time, arrives early/stays late, good attitude, friendly, etc. 

• Upvote 2

Couldn’t agree more with @EMEDPA. Fellowship/Residency is your best option, not only because of the current job market, but also because EM is really hard. You need to have a wide knowledge base, be comfortable doing a large variety of procedures, have confidence calling consultants and telling them why they need to come see your patient and you have to be comfortable making hard decisions. 

If post-grad training is just not possible, your attitude on your elective rotation is everything. Preceptors will generally bend over backward for a really eager student, but a student that doesn’t show much initiative isn’t going to get any favors. You should offer to see any and every patient, even the intimidating ones. Nobody is going to let you hurt anyone as a student. Ask if you can observe any traumas or codes that come in, even if your preceptor is not involved. If it’s slow, ask if you can go listen to the radio calls. Ask lots of questions. It’s all about attitude and work ethic. 

• Like 1