Deferred Judgment/Adjudication and CASPA question

Long story short I got a trespass ticket after I got kicked out of a bar for not wearing a mask while walking around the bar, it was my first ever run in with the law aside from traffic tickets, I got deferred judgment. On CASPA when it asks have you ever plea guilty or no contest to a misdemeanor, Im wondering if after the trespass is off my record should I still answer yes to that question. 

And while Im here I meet all other requirements to get accepted to most schools, solid science and overall GPA, 2000+ hrs of direct pt care hrs and so on. Will a ticket like that seriously hurt me getting in? And has anyone been in my shoes before, is it common, am I screwed? Tell me honestly...

Well, I'm no lawyer but...

I believe that "deferred judgement" means you pled guilty to a misdemeanor but the sentence (if any) was deferred to give you a chance to show you weren't a troublemaker. So, yes, you pled guilty to a misdemeanor and  -- if it was not expunged -- then you should admit to it. In any event, this was during the pandemic so it wasn't in the deep past. 

IMHO, it shouldn't be a big deal for your application. 

You could contact the jurisdiction and find out what the official disposition was. If not expunged, I suspect it's on your record. A great story someday for your kids when they screw up. (They'll probably want to know what a mask was for.)

• Like 1

Dont take this as gospel but. . Deferred adjudication is meant to keep you from having to say you were convicted. You were never convicted. If you screw up again a judge can then adjudicate you guilty but until that point you are not guilty or convicted of any crime. That's the incentive of a deferred adjudication. If it counted as a conviction there really wouldn't be much incentive to do it. So having said that, you do not have to put that down as a conviction. There are plenty of forms out there that if they want to know about deferred adjudication or deferred prosecution or charges they will ask that directly. Answer the question directly as asked and noone can say you were being dishonest.

While it will show up on your background check, so would charges, and they didn't ask for charges, just convictions. 

Edited by browens3pa