Other Health Care Experience: Veterinary Hospital Volunteer Work?

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of filling out my CASPA application and came across a conundrum: where to put my veterinary hospital volunteer experience. I know enough not to list it under Health Care Experience. I do believe that working in an animal hospital has its merits as a TYPE of health care experience..

Where would you list this type of work? I think it would be clever to list it under "Other Health Care Experience," but it could also be appropriate under "Community Service," or "Other Work Experience."

Elaine

I'll check out the FAQs, thanks for the suggestion mackjacks. Some of the things I did: Patient intake, basic vitals, patient history, sample handling and processing.. Clean and stock rooms, laundry, clean out kennels, walk dogs, socialize cats.

I just found the CASPA section of the forum. I wonder if I can move this thread there.

Perhaps I should have asked, but I listed it as other healthcare experience. In the instructions it never says patients have to be human and the work I did I feel has more merit than 'other work' experience. I was pre-vet in college and used my essay to explain the shift to human medicine. I have gotten one interview invitation already, so I'm assuming it wasn't damaging to my application. -shrugs-

Perhaps I should have asked, but I listed it as other healthcare experience. In the instructions it never says patients have to be human and the work I did I feel has more merit than 'other work' experience. I was pre-vet in college and used my essay to explain the shift to human medicine. I have gotten one interview invitation already, so I'm assuming it wasn't damaging to my application. -shrugs-

Which schools did you apply to/get an interview?

<BR>

Which schools did you apply to/get an interview?
<BR><BR>Arcadia University is the interview I have. I applied, also, to Towson U, James Madison, Shenandoah, PCOM, and Drexel.  They've had my application less than a month, so I'm still hopeful for some other invitations.

<BR><BR><BR>Arcadia University is the interview I have. I applied, also, to Towson U, James Madison, Shenandoah, PCOM, and Drexel.  They've had my application less than a month, so I'm still hopeful for some other invitations.

That's awesome! Congrats and good luck... I too am a vet med turned human med. Glad to know that I'm not the only one out there! How much experience in the human field did you have before applying? I've been a technician for 9 years but only have about 30 hours of human med experience (shadowing). I'm interested to find out what the programs that I am applying to think in regards to that?!

How much experience in the human field did you have before applying?

After college I did a year long Medical Technology certification program and have worked in a hospital lab/physician's lab/blood bank for just over two years now. In my current job, I do early morning phlebotomy and, on top of my training, have about 900 hours (and counting) of direct patient contact and over 3000 hours for human healthcare. (Some programs consider lab work direct, because we're working directly with samples, though I think some are shying away from that). But, you've had more animal experience than I have. Mine is limited to tech assistant work plus interning in various roles and departments during college. I hope that balances out for you!

I would suggest definitely use your essay to really state that PA isn't a second choice for vet school, but that you found out it's your main drive now for yadda yadda reason :)

Good luck!

Archived