Apply THIS CYCLE or WAIT for 2021-2022

Hi I'm new here and trying to get up to speed as quickly as possible.  Quick background:  I was to start nursing school last week and at the last moment did a shift to apply to PA school.  I am interested in one school that is still accepting applications (until March 1) for this cycle.  I have lots of pre-reqs complete because I was ready to begin nursing school.  I have one more chem class to go and it starts in March. I have not taken the GRE yet, have no shadow hours or HCE hours yet.  One recommendation on the way.  I am in phlebotomy school and plan to work hard at it once I am certified.  The program I want to apply to starts in October so I have lots of time to accumulate hours, finish chemistry and maybe one more class to make my application stronger.    

My question is:  do I submit my application this time (2020-2021) around even though it is far from complete?  Or do I wait and just go for it for 2021-2022.  I fully plan on NOT getting in this time, I just wanted the experience under my belt.  (And who knows, maybe it would work out even though it's a long shot!). 

I'd love the perspective of you all.  Thanks for taking the time.

well a few things to note.

1. Make sure your RN stuff will cover for PA school. I am an RN to PA route and i had to go back for 3 semesters to get the pre reqs done.

2. 0 PCE will hinder your profile greatly even if their is no minimum requirement (even though many have this). The average applicant has somewhere in the 2K range (I don't remember the number) but weighs heavy in decisions.

3. 0 Shadowing hours will greatly hinder app and some schools require this as well.

4. You don't get much experience from applying on CASPA. Just a couple clicks and a could hundred dollars gone. That's about it, then you will have to redo it again in May lol

I mean you can apply but I do not think it will end with an acceptance, so I would wait. Although this is my opinion and I can be wrong, I tend to be somewhat realistic

Edited by KuchiKopi

Thanks for your input.  I like hearing the realistic viewpoint.  Just want to clarify:  I plan on getting lots of hours, I just won't have them by the application due date of March 1.  The program starts in October so I was going to work my tail off from March until then, once I complete phlebotomy.  Again, thanks for the helpful response.  And keeping it real about the money.  It's easy to get caught up and lose sight of that part!

7 minutes ago, Jennstav said:

Thanks for your input.  I like hearing the realistic viewpoint.  Just want to clarify:  I plan on getting lots of hours, I just won't have them by the application due date of March 1.  The program starts in October so I was going to work my tail off from March until then, once I complete phlebotomy.  Again, thanks for the helpful response.  And keeping it real about the money.  It's easy to get caught up and lose sight of that part!

Check the school as well. See if they specify PCE up until application or up until matriculation, I have seen an applied to both. No matter what you choose. Good luck!

Wait. Get your prereq’s done. Get shadowing and PCE. Take the GRE. As someone who interviews students, if you told me you decided to pursue PA school 2 months ago I’d see it as a massive red flag. Also, if this application is through CASPA, your application very likely won’t be done in time. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Upvote 1