Volunteer HCE good enough?

I have applied to numerous PA schools this cycle. I had a question for you guys in regards to health care experience. I have between 3000-4000 hrs of volunteer work as a medical assistant for a primary care provider. I basically did everything that a paid medical assistant does except for the fact that I volunteered. I interacted with patients on a daily basis checking their weight, vitals, etc. I also have a recommendation letter from the doctor I worked with attesting to all my job responsibilities with patients. In addition, I have 400+ hours as a medical scribe and I am currently still working as a medical scribe in the ER. Would this health care experience be considered competitive despite the fact that most of my hours came from volunteer hours? How would these hours be weighed against someone who had the same experience but were paid as a medical assistant? Thanks in advance.

Yep, same here. I started December 2006. I worked only on breaks and ended January 2012. Although I have about 800 from it, not 1000.

Also, risktaker, I was told by my program directors that they are very likely to ask for documentation for anything above 1000 for volunteer activities. I don't think that'll be a problem though!

Archived