PAs in management/administrator roles

Most common role you see PAs fill in this capacity is as Lead PA of their department/service. This can extend to staffing/quality/process roles outside of their clinical specialty.

PAs also sit on various committees in chair/leadership roles.

There was a nice article in PA professional 1-2 yrs ago about Josanne Pagel at Cleveland Clinic. She is the Director of PA services there, which encompasses all the facets of PA practice- implementation, staffing, HR, reimbursement, credentiaing, etc. I spoke to her and she was helpful in providing some framework for doing the same thing at my place.

We have several PA's in administrative roles in our emergency department. Generally they work a combination of clinical shifts and administrative shifts. The hospital EMS coordinator, hospital disaster management coordinator, and ED CQI coordinator are all PA's; a PA is also the executive director of the office overseeing EMS care in the region.

We have several PA's in administrative roles in our emergency department. Generally they work a combination of clinical shifts and administrative shifts. The hospital EMS coordinator, hospital disaster management coordinator, and ED CQI coordinator are all PA's; a PA is also the executive director of the office overseeing EMS care in the region.

Do these people have degrees beyond that required of a PA? Like an MBA or MHA? Or pretty much after gaining some clinical experience in a certain department and learning the ropes, advancement into administrative roles (if opportunities are available) is possible?

Guest Paula

I currently supervise 2 nurses (one an RN and the other an LPN) in our Maternal Child Health department in our small Indian Health Service FQHC. We have an MD director who has overall responsibility for the whole clinic. He needed to delegate the supervision of these two positions, as one needed to be reigned in, and he does not have the public health background experience like I do. So, it works well for us, except for the RN who is not happy being supervised by a PA. Since it is a new position for me (no extra pay!) and I like some administration work, I will be adding it to my resume at some time in the future. I have a bachelor's and all my administration experience was from my pre-PA days, all in pubic health type of roles.

PA's have supervisory or lead positions in Indian Health Service too, in a much broader sense and over many areas...ER's. clinic leads, etc.

Archived