New grad- Two offers

I am a new grad and I have two offers. I am located in the southeast region with moderate cost of living.

1st offer: Psych (in-patient)

Start date: January 2020

Salary: $55/hr (for first two months), then upto $65/hr (depending on physician evaluation)- 32 hrs/week ($97,280). There will be opportunities to pick up more shifts, but not initially.

No Bonus

12-18 patients per day. 

CME: $1500

Health Insurance: They will pay upto $500/month.

PTO: 10 days

They will pay for DEA.

They said they will reimburse me for malpractice (upto $1500/year)., but they won't pay for it initially. Is this normal?

I did my rotation at this clinic, and the doc is super nice, and willing to teach, but unfortunately there are no openings at this clinic so he offered me a position at a hospital, where he holds some big position I think. I do not have much experience with in patient psych but they did say that they will provide plenty of training.

2nd Offer: Urgent Care (it has several locations. I was told that I will be at one location, but I should be flexible if I am needed at another location).

Start date: January 2020.

Salary: $50/hr (after negotiation- initial was $48/hr)- $108,000/yr

Productivity Bonus: $7,000 - 1% of the total collections. I was told that this particular clinic bills $700,000 on average per year

15 shifts per month (12 hr) is considered full time. Anything worked over 40 hrs is 1.5X base rate (with 15 shifts OT built in b/c I work 180 hours per month instead of 160). Opportunities to pick up extra shifts (All paid at 1.5x)

Health insurance: $300/month

PTO: 80 hours. Doesn't carry over.

CME: 1,000 and uptodate. They don't pay for DEA, but you can use the CME money for DEA. (pretty much no CME money or time off for it). I don't really care too much about this.

Medical Malpractice: Employer paid, including tail for at least two years beyond the life of the company policy.

Eligible to participate in a 401k, up to a 4% match and no vesting required for matching dollars. Six-month enrollment period.

Must give 90 Days notification if you want to leave.

Will have to be DOT trained and certified within 30 days (They will pay for it) 

10 mile non-compete- FOR LENGTH OF CONTRACT AND 2 YEARS THEREAFTER. If it was just length of the contract, I wouldn't have cared so much, but literally I can't work at any urgent care within 10 miles of this clinic even after I leave this place. This just seems absurd to me.

Patient load varies, but I may see 80-90 patients per day, but 85-90% of them are there for Covid testing. They have a drive thru Covid testing. I am not sure how this will change after the vaccine is here. Pre-Covid, this was the slowest clinic and they used to see about 20-25 patients in a 12 hour shift, which I think is extremely doable. Also, I have 3 years of experience working at an urgent care prior to PA school and I really like it.

Thoughts?

Edited by futurepa588

Health insurance for a single person is around 1000.00 per month.  Family is more.  Malpractice us $3000 per year.  In patient psyche is very difficult although 32 hours per week is nice.  

Urgent care as you said is covid all the time now but hopefully will be getting better in the next 1-2 years.  A friend works urgent care the stories are ridiculous and the hours long.  Although benefits are good.  Some things to consider.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, Mayamom said:

Health insurance for a single person is around 1000.00 per month.  Family is more.  Malpractice us $3000 per year.  In patient psyche is very difficult although 32 hours per week is nice.  

Urgent care as you said is covid all the time now but hopefully will be getting better in the next 1-2 years.  A friend works urgent care the stories are ridiculous and the hours long.  Although benefits are good.  Some things to consider.

My health insurance is about $500/mo, so it is essentially covered. I agree in-patient psych can be difficult and I recently found out that the physician will not be there all the time. However, there will be training from other providers which is fine, but I was hoping the doctor was there because he was a great preceptor/teacher. Another negative is that it is almost 1 hour drive (UC is only 20 min). Also, this is 1099 position, which doesn't make any sense because they are offering all the benefits. I maybe wrong, but I thought 1099 is when they don't cover benefits. Can someone explain this?

The urgent care offer does seem much better,  but I don't like the non-compete. I tried to see if they will waive it, but they won't (only negative). I know the hours can seem long, but I don't mind working long hours. I am used to it. This way I get plenty of time off. I have heard horror stories too about urgent cares too, but I have to start somewhere, and considering the job market I am not sure if I will get anything better. I really want to work in Emergency Medicine, but this area is saturated and ER doesn't want to hire new grads.