Preparing before program starts

I think most people would recommend just enjoying your free time. Spend time with loved ones if possible. You'll be really busy and your program will teach you what you need to know when the time comes.

That being said, if you have been assigned a mentor it may be best to reach out to them about what you could be doing right now to prepare. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m in my first semester of PA school right now.  I don’t think studying beforehand will really help considering you don’t know exactly what will be covered, in what order, or to what extent.  I would recommend just making sure you have a good study area set up at home and everything else you’ll need (e.g. laptop) ready to go.  And as mentioned, enjoy your free time and do the things you won’t have time for over the next couple years.  I took the time before my program started to take a vacation, read a bunch of books I had been meaning to get to, do some spring cleaning, etc.  Good luck!

• Like 1

If you want to brush up on medicine, I'd recommend leisurely listening to some podcasts (there are a ton) or reading some non-textbook medically related books like "Every Patient Tells a Story," by Lisa Sanders, anything by Atul Gawande, or "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. There are many others but those are all great.

Edited by TheFatMan
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, TheFatMan said:

If you want to brush up on medicine, I'd recommend leisurely listening to some podcasts (there are a ton) or reading some non-textbook medically related books like "Every Patient Tells a Story," by Lisa Sanders, anything by Atul Gawande, or "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. There are many others but those are all great.

Dr. Tobbagan @TheFatMan, would you be able to recommend some podcasts? Or a good place to start looking?

• Like 1