Good Questions to ask While Shadowing

Hello everyone!

I have been researching the PA profession for the last six months and I firmly believe that this is the perfect career for me. I am currently working on obtaining my Bachelors and then I will be applying to PA school. I am mainly interested in Sports Medicine/Orthopedics and upon doing some research I was able to get in

in touch with a local clinic who said I would be able to come in and do some shadowing. I am extremely

extremely excited for this opportunity so I wanted to ask everyone what they thought

were some good questions to ask during a shadow.

The best first question might be to ask when it is convenient time to ask questions. While shadowing, you don't want to get in the way of the PA. Obviously a lot of questions in the exam room with the patient present won't be appropriate, but also while the PA is charting or dictating, you might want to collect your questions (in your heard or a notebook) and wait until they can give you some attention to discuss them. Also, although this applies more to clinical rotations, don't ask questions you could easily look up on your own. Ask about what the PA does in his/her practice. For instance, "how do you usually treat this type of injury?" or "would you generally refer a patient with this presentation to a surgeon?" etc. Instead of "what does X mean?" when you could have easily looked that up.

Some I asked (that led to some great discussion during downtime):

• Where did you go to school? Did you like the program there? Are you still involved with the school?
  • What drew you to the profession?
  • How do you answer the question of, "So... what exactly IS a PA?"
  • What was the most difficult part about your program? " your job?
  • What is your favorite procedure?
  • How was the PANCE/PANRE? Did you take any prep courses?

Archived