Interview attire: pants suits vs skirt suits?

Since it's summer, wearing pantyhose with skirt suit might be a little tough on skin and your personal comfort. If you do, just makes sure that when you pick out a skirt, you're not questioning whether it's too short. If you have to ask yourself that, it probably is. That's why I always chose pant suits. Can't go wrong there :D.

I wore pants to my interviews - less to worry about. I definitely don't think you'll be judged either way, but with a skirt you have to make sure you're not sitting incorrectly, if it's tucked into your undies, etc. :wink:

Another bit of unsolicited advice: on the way over, answer the questions you think you'll be asked out loud to yourself (why do you want to be a PA, why are you a good fit for this school, etc). Sounds silly but helps so much! Good luck on your interview(s)!!

Most of the women at my interviews wore pants and a matching or coordinating jacket. Some had sweaters and some had just a nice shirt. A few wore skirts and super high heels but they looked uncomfortable to me, especially when we went on the facility tours. I didn't see anyone in anything except black, gray and brown pants/skirts and jackets. Some people wore a colorful shirt under their jackets. I worried over my outfit too. For the first interview I spent more time on my outfit than I did preparing answers and I ended up looking cute and rambling my head off. I also got blisters. So for the following interviews I got more comfortable shoes and went over my list of potential questions almost daily. I also practiced (out loud) with my husband. Things went much better! My advice is to pick out something traditional but not stuffy and uncomfortable, and spend more time practicing your interview.

I wore a business-y looking dress to my first interview, but I just felt uncomfortable. For all my next interviews, I wore pants and a nice top. I wore red, though, which I think helped me stand out from the sea of gray and black. :) One interviewer even commented that we all looked the same.

All of the women at my interview wore business/pencil skirts with blouses and a suit jacket. Everyone looked professional. A few had shoes that seemed a little unwise for the day's activities. I remember it was really, really hot (interview was at the end of August) and I was glad I hadn't worn pants and could slip the jacket off.

Second interview had fewer women and less space to wander around, so I can't remember as well what they wore. I think I wore the same thing though, and that interview was in January.

I wore a pants suit. You can wear a skirt suit if the skirt is an appropriate length if you want, but then you have to worry more about shoes...and stockings...and how you sit...it was just too complicated for me. A pants suit is easy and always looks professional. I saw several women wearing non-suit skirts/dresses and they just didn't look as professional as the people who were wearing suits...so I don't recommend that.

Personally, I know that I tend to look younger in a skirt (and I already look about 10 years younger than I actually am) so that was just another reason for me to stick with pants.

I wore this from Banana Republic with the Logan cut pants which are a slimmer fit that is tighter through the thigh (slightly trendy). I wore a tight black cap-sleved shirt tucked in under the jacket so I could take it off and still look nice, a skinny black belt, black leather flats because of walking tours and I'm 5'9" but comfy heels would be good too. Small silver earrings. I use the jacket and pants as separates often now, so it was worth the $. The jacket looks good with dark skinny jeans and the pants are nice to wear with sweaters/blouses. post-42722-137934851184_thumb.png

Archived