Billing for Phone Calls . . . Do Any of You Work in a Practice Which Does This?

We have a code for doing forms....can't remember what it is off hand. I spend an INORDINATE amount of time on the phone with patients/families/home health etc. Very difficult to bill and get anything reimbursed. The only way we've been able to swing it is that our hospital affiliate (and therefore the big name on our "center") pays for something like 30 hours per month of my time specifically for this.....I have to keep a monthly log (such fun) and submit it to accounts

payable.

Not much help, I know, but that's how we get around things.

We have a code for doing forms....can't remember what it is off hand. I spend an INORDINATE amount of time on the phone with patients/families/home health etc. Very difficult to bill and get anything reimbursed. The only way we've been able to swing it is that our hospital affiliate (and therefore the big name on our "center") pays for something like 30 hours per month of my time specifically for this.....I have to keep a monthly log (such fun) and submit it to accounts

payable.

payable.

Some private practices are putting signs up in their offices that basically read this " There will be a 5/10 dollar charge for any Rx renewal by phone, which your ins will NOT pay"...many docs are moving away from this b/c they want to see the pt too..lawsuits, walk in fee...one doc in my area will give you your lab/XR result by mail..it frees up phone call time..or have the pt call in for their results and talk to a nurse vs the doc/midlevel...

Some private practices are putting signs up in their offices that basically read this " There will be a 5/10 dollar charge for any Rx renewal by phone, which your ins will NOT pay"...many docs are moving away from this b/c they want to see the pt too..lawsuits, walk in fee...one doc in my area will give you your lab/XR result by mail..it frees up phone call time..or have the pt call in for their results and talk to a nurse vs the doc/midlevel...

• 3 weeks later...

I believe some plans will reimburse, others don't ... pretty sure Medicare does not. I've been looking into this as well ... I've implemented a rule that no phone calls (unless emergencies) come to me until the end of the day. I can't chart or concentrate when I'm bombarded by 6 requests in between each patient ... I figure the patients who actually made the effort to come in get first priority.

I am doing some part-time work in a small hospital admin, and this issue is actually becoming more important as doctors and patients use smartphones and ipads to communicate with each other. There is also the obvious HIPAA issues, but from a billing stand point doctors are having a difficult time figuring out how and when to charge for a phone call from a patient.

I think that in the future you will actually see some apps that will help address this issue, since it is part of the whole BYOD (bring your own device) issue that medical IT and admin is having to deal with on a daily basis. I have some other questions on this issue and will start a thread about it, but a friend in IT is telling me that smartphones are making it difficult for both doctors and hospitals to bill for the minutes of a doctors time that are used by calls to doctors, as well as emails and text messages not just from patients, but from other doctors as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived