Hardest Part of a PA’s Career

Hardest Part of a PA’s Career  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What time of your career has been the most difficult?

• Pre-PA
    • PA school
    • First few years after graduation
    • Changing specialties
    • Day-to-day in an established specialty

I would call and ask my colleagues about many questions, some are simple, some are complex. I would also make questionable decisions (i.e. keeping a patient that was way out of my scope of practice and level of experience)

[...]

You can go to work one day, and think that "Wow, I slowly getting this stuff down" then tomorrow you get ur ass handed to you.

In addition to that, there are other factors like working with different attendings, different mindsets on the job, expectations, perceptions from others (nurses, techs, patients, other docs) etc. 

[emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516]
This.

I applied for an EM residency and despite the big butthurt from not getting it, I was more relieved than anything. I had worked on rural EMS prior to school and was constantly intimidated by my peers and higher-ups. That should have been enough of a sign that EM wasn't right for me, at least right outta the gates. I'm super grateful to be in FM with much lower acuity and *slightly* lower litigation paranoia.

[emoji117]Colleagues. Are. Everything. [emoji118] (Thats why I miss my side jobs of bartending and waiting tables at the local cantina... these people know how to have social skills and stick together when the going gets tuff.)
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, DarwinStarwin said:

I split my Elective Rotation in ER and FM, and was drawn to ER more. I liked FM, but I see the patients getting sent home from the ER (their diagnosis, their medical conditions/medication list) I thought to myself, how that's a lot to handle. Both are evenly scary hehe (hence, me questioning my choice to be in medicine in the first place haha). I am thinking about residency, among other career advancements as a PA (I am still way too new however). 

emoji3516.pngemoji3516.pngemoji3516.pngemoji3516.pngemoji3516.png
This.

I applied for an EM residency and despite the big butthurt from not getting it, I was more relieved than anything. I had worked on rural EMS prior to school and was constantly intimidated by my peers and higher-ups. That should have been enough of a sign that EM wasn't right for me, at least right outta the gates. I'm super grateful to be in FM with much lower acuity and *slightly* lower litigation paranoia.

emoji117.pngColleagues. Are. Everything. emoji118.png (Thats why I miss my side jobs of bartending and waiting tables at the local cantina... these people know how to have social skills and stick together when the going gets tuff.)

On 4/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, DarwinStarwin said:

emoji117.pngColleagues. Are. Everything. emoji118.png (Thats why I miss my side jobs of bartending and waiting tables at the local cantina... these people know how to have social skills and stick together when the going gets tuff.)

Learned this the hard way when I left my job where I liked my peeps in hopes of advancing my career. Ended up advancing my career to some extent but here I am moving on to yet another. Third time's a charm?

• Like 1