HPSP scholarship

Congratulations, the VA HPSP is a hard nut to crack. The rules for the HPSP are pretty clear about when benefits begin. In previous years, students were only awarded the scholarship in their second year. I actually replied because I have a ton of questions for you as I plan on apply for the scholarship before I start. 

How long did the process take?

What do you think distinguished you from other candidates?

Could you share a bit about your essays? Theme, focus, 

Are you a veteran? If so do you think it helped?

How has your program responded to the clinicals requirement?

Did you get any help from your program?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2020 at 3:13 AM, Argonath95 said:

I received the HPSP scholarship through the VA back in August of last year. However, they told me that my summer semester of last year will not be covered by them. I hate to complain but shouldn’t a full ride scholarship be just that? Anybody else have a similar experience? Thanks! 

Hello! Any updates?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, DomRRTtoPA said:

Congratulations, the VA HPSP is a hard nut to crack. The rules for the HPSP are pretty clear about when benefits begin. In previous years, students were only awarded the scholarship in their second year. I actually replied because I have a ton of questions for you as I plan on apply for the scholarship before I start. 

How long did the process take?

What do you think distinguished you from other candidates?

Could you share a bit about your essays? Theme, focus, 

Are you a veteran? If so do you think it helped?

How has your program responded to the clinicals requirement?

Did you get any help from your program?

I haven’t started the clinicals yet so can’t answer those questions. Essays were fairly straightforward from what I remember and the application only took a few hours. I have never been in the military. Only thing I can think of why I stood out is doing well on the essays, 4.0 GPA, and letter of reference from a highly respected retired military friend. 

On 3/14/2020 at 3:13 AM, Argonath95 said:

I received the HPSP scholarship through the VA back in August of last year. However, they told me that my summer semester of last year will not be covered by them. I hate to complain but shouldn’t a full ride scholarship be just that? Anybody else have a similar experience? Thanks! 

The HPSP application/guide is very clear that is it not retroactive and does not apply to any semesters prior to awarding/acceptance of the award. And it is not an inherently "full-ride" scholarship and nowhere does it state that - they agree to cover only whatever school you have remaining once you are awarded and accept. If you haven't started a program yet, your whole tuition may be covered. If you're already in clinical with only 10 months left, they will pay for whatever you have left, etc. 

On 3/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, DomRRTtoPA said:

... I actually replied because I have a ton of questions for you as I plan on apply for the scholarship before I start. 

You are better off checking out this thread for HPSP 2020. Also search for the 2019 HPSP thread. Lots of good info.