New grad IM offer

Hi all,

I need some advice/opinions on the following offer. 
Outpatient internal med office DMV NOVA area. Full time 40 hrs/week, 2 Saturdays/month

**no health/vision/dental 

2k cme + 3 days;

licensing renewal, DEA, professional memberships

10 days PTO

401k with match starting immediately (details not specified yet)

malpractice coverage (I think occurrence based but I need to double check)

I negotiated this up from 80k with malpractice and no other benefits... This was all verbal - no contract yet so I haven’t had a chance to check for red flags. I’ve had a few interviews with shady fraudulent FM/UC places before and had no trouble walking away from offers higher than this. I’m considering this offer because I really liked the doctor and felt that it was an honest practice. 

I have another interview for a surgical position but I’m feeling the pressure of student loan repayments. The job hunt has been rough - not sure if this area is oversaturated? I’m afraid if I wait around any longer I may end up jobless. 

Hard no without benefits. The guy/gal taking your order at McDonald's likely gets health insurance, why in the flying frick wouldn't you?

If there are no benefits then you need to be getting 20% - 25% more income than an individual doing the same job with benefits.

Do what you have to do to survive but you are selling yourself short. 

I also have no idea what the DMV NOVA area is (Deleware Maryland Vermont Northern Virginia? I may need to look at a map), but unless COL is pretty dang low 90k isn't all that great either...not is 2wks PTO. 

Sorry I'm so pessimistic about this offer but there are a lot of negatives in my mind.

Good luck!

Hi all,
I need some advice/opinions on the following offer. 
Outpatient internal med office DMV NOVA area. Full time 40 hrs/week, 2 Saturdays/month
**no health/vision/dental 
2k cme + 3 days;
licensing renewal, DEA, professional memberships
10 days PTO
401k with match starting immediately (details not specified yet)
malpractice coverage (I think occurrence based but I need to double check)
I negotiated this up from 80k with malpractice and no other benefits... This was all verbal - no contract yet so I haven’t had a chance to check for red flags. I’ve had a few interviews with shady fraudulent FM/UC places before and had no trouble walking away from offers higher than this. I’m considering this offer because I really liked the doctor and felt that it was an honest practice. 
I have another interview for a surgical position but I’m feeling the pressure of student loan repayments. The job hunt has been rough - not sure if this area is oversaturated? I’m afraid if I wait around any longer I may end up jobless. 

Pretty mediocre offer IMO. Are the two saturdays included in your 40 hr week? With 2 Saturdays a month on top of 40 hr work week, you are looking at $42/hr without any health insurance. PTO is also kind of low. Without health insurance base should be at least 105k. A lot also depends on how many patients you see, if they are big on teaching, distance to work, etc. I agree student loans are a huge problem but honestly a waiting a month or two will not a make a huge difference in the long run. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MediMike said:

Hard no without benefits. The guy/gal taking your order at McDonald's likely gets health insurance, why in the flying frick wouldn't you?

If there are no benefits then you need to be getting 20% - 25% more income than an individual doing the same job with benefits.

Do what you have to do to survive but you are selling yourself short. 

I also have no idea what the DMV NOVA area is (Deleware Maryland Vermont Northern Virginia? I may need to look at a map), but unless COL is pretty dang low 90k isn't all that great either...not is 2wks PTO. 

Sorry I'm so pessimistic about this offer but there are a lot of negatives in my mind.

Good luck!

DC, Maryland, Northern VA area. The COL is pretty high here.  I appreciate your honest opinion and feel the exact same way. Thank you for your advice!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, futurepa588 said:

Pretty mediocre offer IMO. Are the two saturdays included in your 40 hr week? With 2 Saturdays a month on top of 40 hr work week, you are looking at $42/hr without any health insurance. PTO is also kind of low. Without health insurance base should be at least 105k. A lot also depends on how many patients you see, if they are big on teaching, distance to work, etc. I agree student loans are a huge problem but honestly a waiting a month or two will not a make a huge difference in the long run. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 Saturdays are included in the 40 hr week. Patient load is about 15-24 per day, 8 hr shifts. They are not expecting me to see this many in the beginning. The SP is big on teaching and it's close to home. Thanks for your advice!

• Like 1