Please advise rg: GRE/ Application deadline:

My CASPA is nearly complete. I leave for sea duty June 21 and return August 15th. My intentions are to submit my application before I leave town which involves taking the GRE June 16th. I do not feel completely prepared for the GRE (still in school with upcoming finals). My original plans were to study for it out at sea then take exam upon my return in August and submit application then.

Would you consider that application date too late? Would you suggest taking the GRE now (risking a not-so-great score on it) and submit application early VS' submitting application late but with a potentially better score? None of the PA programs to which I will apply consider the GRE scores for admission, but I find it hard to believe that if they saw a less than favorable score that it wouldn't weigh on their opinion of the applicant?

Please advise.

Thank you.

My CASPA is nearly complete. I leave for sea duty June 21 and return August 15th. My intentions are to submit my application before I leave town which involves taking the GRE June 16th. I do not feel completely prepared for the GRE (still in school with upcoming finals). My original plans were to study for it out at sea then take exam upon my return in August and submit application then.

Would you consider that application date too late? Would you suggest taking the GRE now (risking a not-so-great score on it) and submit application early VS' submitting application late but with a potentially better score? None of the PA programs to which I will apply consider the GRE scores for admission, but I find it hard to believe that if they saw a less than favorable score that it wouldn't weigh on their opinion of the applicant?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Please advise.

Thank you.

The schools that I talked to that also say they don't consider GRE scores at all literally meant they didn't even look at the scores. I asked it at one of the info sessions and the woman cut me off and said simply, "we don't look at them". I wasn't even finished asking my question. I had the same idea as you, that if my GRE scores are excellent, it'll make up for my less than stellar GPA or some other area where I was more lacking in. Personally I wouldn't take the gamble of having my application get submitted that late, seems like most people are applying earlier and earlier... If there aren't that many schools you're applying to (or any) that require the GRE, I wouldn't even put yourself through the stress of studying and taking it. One alternative is you can submit to the ones that don't require it first and then take the GRE upon your return and submit application again, but this time only to those that require the GRE. That way you're not taking a complete gamble on all of your schools, but just only a couple. I'm not sure if CASPA is set up for that kind of thing though, maybe someone more knowledgeable on how submissions work can answer that.

The schools that I talked to that also say they don't consider GRE scores at all literally meant they didn't even look at the scores. I asked it at one of the info sessions and the woman cut me off and said simply, "we don't look at them". I wasn't even finished asking my question. I had the same idea as you, that if my GRE scores are excellent, it'll make up for my less than stellar GPA or some other area where I was more lacking in. Personally I wouldn't take the gamble of having my application get submitted that late, seems like most people are applying earlier and earlier... If there aren't that many schools you're applying to (or any) that require the GRE, I wouldn't even put yourself through the stress of studying and taking it. One alternative is you can submit to the ones that don't require it first and then take the GRE upon your return and submit application again, but this time only to those that require the GRE. That way you're not taking a complete gamble on all of your schools, but just only a couple. I'm not sure if CASPA is set up for that kind of thing though, maybe someone more knowledgeable on how submissions work can answer that.

I would also advise checking with your schools to see if they require you to report your GRE scores on your CASPA app. CASPA doesn't require it, though some schools do. If your schools do not require that you self report your GRE scores on the CASPA app, then you can just report that you plan to take the test and turn in the CASPA application in June, then take the test when you get back. As long as the PA program is OK recieving the GRE scores at a later date, it shouldn't be a problem.

I would also advise checking with your schools to see if they require you to report your GRE scores on your CASPA app. CASPA doesn't require it, though some schools do. If your schools do not require that you self report your GRE scores on the CASPA app, then you can just report that you plan to take the test and turn in the CASPA application in June, then take the test when you get back. As long as the PA program is OK recieving the GRE scores at a later date, it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived