Defamation (Slander)

Looking for input from anyone who has been through this:  Defamation via slander by former MD.  I lost out on 2 jobs because of it.  One recently due to the credentialing hospital calling up my old SP.  They wouldn't verify the exact details of what he said other than he gave me a "poor review."  Then lost out on another job but was able to finally verify what he said to the MD calling for a verification of employment.  The MD was nice enough to send me a rejection email listing the reasons why I lost the job and my former SP's comments.  Apparently, my previous SP had no problem making multiple severe false allegations:  that I was an impaired provider (I'm allegedly an alcoholic), that I physically assaulted and stalked staff members, and that I suffer from a mental health condition - not to mention a litany of other false claims.  I can assure you that none of these allegations are true: I have never been diagnosed with a mental health condition, I am allergic to alcohol, and there is no truth (no witnesses/videos) in assaulting any staff members.  There's absolutely no evidence of this.  In fact, my personnel file clearly lists two salary increases (as well as increasing responsibilities) with no negative remarks/counseling/reprimands whatsoever.  I am stunned that an MD was able to get away with abusing his MD title to speak recklessly to a credentialing hospital as well as another MD.  He was able to say that my clinical practice was not in question, however.  Anyone with experience in this matter?

1st I am sorry this happened.   A former doctor I worked with gave me a not so great review when I was applying for privileges at a hospital but I was employed by a private internal medicine office at the time & they managed to get me approved.  I was devastated & it did not even go to the degree this person has done to you.  I think I would speak with an employee attorney.  Maybe just a letter from a lawyer will get this doc to stop.  Also can you just use someone else as a referral?